How to remove a release from an epic or other structure elements?

Oliver Floericke June 14, 2016

Hi!

I have set a release to an epic in the scope view of portfolio. Now I want to remove this association again. But the drop down shows only all my defined releases and no "No release" option.

Did I miss something? How can I set an epic, a story or any self-defined issue back to "later"?

I am using Portfolio add-on 2.0.0

Regards,

Oliver

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 20, 2016
Hi Oliver,
The default value for releases in Portfolio is “Calculate”. Portfolio will attempt to schedule these issues into releases if there is capacity to complete these additional issues. If your releases do not have capacity for additional issues then issues with “Calculate” will be assigned to Later. 

Ideally we’d like to implement functionality to statically assign issues to the “Later” release (which was possible in Portfolio 1.0) but the new JIRA integration has complicated this. We don’t have a good solution for this yet but we can offer you a couple of workarounds:
  • Issues with “Calculated” release are assigned by priority so if there are particular issues you want assigned to later you can de-prioritise it in your scope so that it is allocated to “Later"
  • Alternatively you can explicitly create a Later/Parked release and statically assign issues for that release. This would be most optimal if you have multiple issues you want to be removed from a release.

Cheers,

Rhys

4 votes
Andrew Harwood February 21, 2018

Is there an open feature request for this issue?  If yes, I would like to follow it.

This is an extremely common use-case & I agree with Oliver that users should be able to explicitly assign any issue to "Later.

Jovanna Pugh June 4, 2018

My team is running into this problem as well and I agree that it's common.  The issues we work on during any given sprint are almost never 100% assigned to a single release, but I do want to be able track them all in Portfolio.

Bas Terwee November 21, 2018

This is a real bug and in no way solved. Please pick this up urgently because we need to be able to exclude something from a release!

Declan Hannon January 10, 2019

This is insane as we had a staff member accidentally assign the wrong release version and we now cannot remove them.

2 votes
Alana Schock May 11, 2018

I think there is actually a bug in the product.  I'm in a similar situation as Oliver - I want to remove a value from the release field for an epic in Portfolio that I set previously and no longer applies.  In my situation, I currently don't know which release the epic will ultimately be in, so while I would prefer leaving the field emtpy, I would be satisified with the "Later" option, but it's not working for me.  Specifically, when I select the Calculate option as Rhys directed, the release field does not change to Later and retains the invalid release value I'm trying to get rid of .  Also, the "Later" option in the list for me to pick it manually.  So my only choice is to pick a future release that I know is incorrect for the epic, but at least it gets it out of the release I'm planning.  I am also considering the static Later/Parked release option but that's pretty confusing to others looking at the release list.  

This is a pretty impactful issue that is core to the product functionality.  If there's any way to elevate its priority within Atlassian, that would be helpful.

Jovanna Pugh June 4, 2018

We're running into the exact same problem.  I've spent the last few hours researching how to fix this situation, which led me here.

German Gonzalez-Amado March 15, 2019

Has anyone received any updates on this issue?

I agree with @Alana Schock, the better user experience would be to see a "Later" option available in the dropdown list. The "Calculate" option is doing nothing in my portfolio even after "de-prioritizing" the Epic, as suggested by @Rhys Christian  

Ebony Caldwell June 26, 2020

I'm experiencing the same issue as stated by @Alana Schock, nearly 2 years after it was originally reported.  Is anyone watching this thread?

0 votes
Swarna Nalluri April 22, 2021

I had this issue as well. I couldnt remove the fixversion from the Epic in Enterprise JIRA Software.

I moved the story from Epic to Story, and removed the fixversion and moved it back to Epic and linked the stories back. There was no other way to remove the fixversion. Very unpleasant user experience...:(

0 votes
Web Admin April 12, 2017

we found that if an estimate was manually entered for the epic, it also prevent the epic to be in undefined release.  Remove the estimate did the trick for us.

Suggest an answer