How to remove a release from an epic or other structure elements?

Hi!

I have set a release to an epic in the scope view of portfolio. Now I want to remove this association again. But the drop down shows only all my defined releases and no "No release" option.

Did I miss something? How can I set an epic, a story or any self-defined issue back to "later"?

I am using Portfolio add-on 2.0.0

Regards,

Oliver

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Hi Oliver,
The default value for releases in Portfolio is “Calculate”. Portfolio will attempt to schedule these issues into releases if there is capacity to complete these additional issues. If your releases do not have capacity for additional issues then issues with “Calculate” will be assigned to Later. 

Ideally we’d like to implement functionality to statically assign issues to the “Later” release (which was possible in Portfolio 1.0) but the new JIRA integration has complicated this. We don’t have a good solution for this yet but we can offer you a couple of workarounds:
  • Issues with “Calculated” release are assigned by priority so if there are particular issues you want assigned to later you can de-prioritise it in your scope so that it is allocated to “Later"
  • Alternatively you can explicitly create a Later/Parked release and statically assign issues for that release. This would be most optimal if you have multiple issues you want to be removed from a release.

Cheers,

Rhys

we found that if an estimate was manually entered for the epic, it also prevent the epic to be in undefined release.  Remove the estimate did the trick for us.

Is there an open feature request for this issue?  If yes, I would like to follow it.

This is an extremely common use-case & I agree with Oliver that users should be able to explicitly assign any issue to "Later.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,268 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot