How-to release more than one done column on a Kanban board.

john July 11, 2016

We are using the Kanban boards in JIRA to track our projects. Our workflow contains 3 end states (categoryStatus = Done): Done, Cancelled, Not Doing. Done is the last column on our board, so when we use the release button, it only releases the tickets in the final column on the board. This means, we end up doing a bulk update to close out the tickets in the Cancelled and Not Doing status columns. Is there a better? Can/should the "release" function close tickets in any "done" column?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deleted user July 11, 2016

So this is one of those "Why can't we configure this" issues. Basically the "Release" function is as you noted: "it only releases the tickets in the final column on the board" a few options;

1. add the status of Cancelled and Not Doing to the final column of your board. Issue solved.
  2. If you really Need them in separate columns (I might wonder why), you could build another board similar to your current board but implementing the suggestion above and only use it to process your releases.
  3. If you are server based, you might implement some code to solve this, but I'm cloud based and can't help you there. Someone else can probably suggest a solution for that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2016

Bother, I typed basically the same answer as 1 - that's the intended and correct behaviour in this case.

2 is a good approach to doing the visibility if you think you need more columns

But 3, even on server, there's no sane solution - it would come back to an automatic sweep of the done-but-not-done issues which is not a lot more than simply automating what you're doing manually.  1 remains by far the best option

john July 11, 2016

Thank you for the suggestion. I haven't yet tried put the statuses in the same column. That seems like a reasonable approach and I will give it a try.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2016

You don't.  An issue is either done, or you're still working on it.

Kanban is not really that focussed on distinct and discrete release packaging.  The giveaway in your question here is you've mentioned "sprint".  If you're doing Sprints, you're not doing Kanban.  I suspect your only option is to release as per Scrum or Kanban, whichever suits you better and then have someone add package versions later (or before, if you do it as a custom field instead of a version)

Suggest an answer