How to reflect your burndown when dragging tasks to done in Jira Agile

Dan Crowley February 27, 2014

We currently have the Estimates in Agile set to Remaining time, so when we start a sprint we put our estimates in orginal estimates and remaining estimates. When our developers drag them to done, those fields stay the same so the burndown does not reflect any work being done. Is their a way to make just dragging a task to done reflect in the burndown? I know if our developers clear the remaining field to 0 before dragging to done it works, but that is an extra step we are trying to avoid.

1 answer

1 vote
Luther Hargrove
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2014

What you can do is modify the workflow so that you have a post function to adjust the remaining time to 0 when the ticket transitions. You can click on the transition in the workflow > click the post functions tab > add a post function to update the field. Remember you have to create a draft of this workflow > make the change > publish the draft.

Dan Crowley February 27, 2014

When I go into the administration page and then Issues>Workflows> I don't see the post functions tab. I see the active and inactive workflows. When I click to edit one I don't see the post functions tab either. Not sure if my configuration is different and that is why I am not seeing or not.

Luther Hargrove
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2014

You have to go to Issues>Workflows>(Workflow you need to update)>Click on the transition that you need to update. So whatever transition moves you from In Progress to issue complete (whatever your statuses are).> you should see post functions there.

Basically you have statuses and transitions in workflows. Statuses are Open, In Progress, Resolved, Closed, etc.. Transitions are resolve issue,reopen issue, close issue etc.. Basically the transitions move you from status to status. When you are viewing the transition, you can set post functions to be applied when an issues transitions from one status to another.

carlgieringer July 14, 2015

I don't think that a post-function can update the burndown. The post-function can update the time remaining, but it is not reflected in the burndown chart. See: * https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-6788 * https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/10400435/remaining-estimate-post-function-%2B-agile-burndown-not-right

Suggest an answer