How to redirect Service Desk request type URLs?

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2017

I've had to create some new request types, replacing existing ones, because the issue type has changed and it doesn't seem to be possible to change the issue type on existing requests.

So ... what I need to be able to do is redirect from the old request type URL to the new one. I've tried doing this in Apache (which we use to front-end the Tomcat stuff) but it looks like Service Desk is doing something funky and managing to change URLs without it going back through Apache?

Has anyone tried to do something like this and, if you have, what was the solution?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2017

Hi Phillip,

Can you post a snippet from your apache conf file where you try the redirection?

I had success doing it this way:

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} =/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/create/49
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://jirahostname/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/create/4 [R=301,NC,L]
Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 19, 2017

I realised that I was mistakenly trying to test this from within Service Desk (which is where it seems to do funky things with the URLs) but I actually only need it to work when someone initiates the URL from outside of Service Desk (e.g. from an email).

With that more limited usage pattern, I do have it working.

I'm curious as to how/why Service Desk does tricksy things with clicks on the web page but that is for a different topic :)

Lakshmi Puli July 25, 2022

Hi josh,

Above your recommendations are not working when we click on request type for the first time. Any other idea to achieve this, please?

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2023

After search as well

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2023
##### custom
location /servicedesk/customer/portal/22/create/10 {
return 302 https://google.com;
}

Suggest an answer