How to recover a deleted Jira Card and its associated Child cards?

Praveen Anand September 2, 2022

We inadvertently deleted a Jira Story from the board and can't see it now. When we try to access the User Story and its child cards- it shows the below error- Is there a way to recover the card and its child cards or atleast see information that were added so that it can be recreated in a duplicate card.

You don't have access to this issue

Make sure the issue exists in this project. If it does, ask a project admin for permission to see the project's issues.

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Elvir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2022

Hello Praveen,

Jira is not able to recover a deleted issue. Once it is deleted, the record is gone in the database.

As a good practice, I recommend to remove the delete issue permission for your team.

Eventually, project admins could still delete issues if needed.

Best regards,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2022

Your only chance of getting it back is if you had taken a backup of your Cloud system recently.

Like # people like this
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2022

Maybe you have the logs for when the ticket was created and you can recreate it?

Like Praveen Anand likes this
Praveen Anand September 6, 2022

Do you knw how to create the backup for future references or where to find logs for ticket which is already deleted ? I am unable to find them.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2022

On Cloud systems, you have the Admin -> Backup option that enables you to grab a file from the system that can be used to recreate your whole Cloud site, or migrate it to server.

1 vote
Praveen Anand September 2, 2022

Thanks Nic and Elvir or your comments !!

I understand that we do not have an option to recover the deleted records from Jira but I feel there should be something like a recovery Bin or Archive which gives us an option to do it. I learnt that Trello has that, curious why hasn't this been introduced yet with Jira. Is it something which this community can recommend - I will be more than happy to contribute to it. Thanks !

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2022

As an issue tracker, Jira is designed not to lose information, such as the issues you are trying to track.

Deleting issues is actually something that should be removed from Jira, it's a function that defeats the purpose of having an issue tracker in the first place.  (Individual issue deletes, not "delete because the project is no longer needed")

0 votes
Danny Grenzowski _Rewind_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 6, 2022

Hi @Praveen Anand , sorry to hear that you might have lost an Issue. Hope you are able to recover it!

To prevent scenarios like this from happening in the future, check out Rewind - automated backups and restores for Jira Cloud. I'm the PM lead for our Jira backup product and I'd love to hear what you think!

Danny from Rewind

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events