How to reconfigure JIRA with new LDAP server

Shruti Joshi November 18, 2020

Hi, 

My company has recently mirgarted and changed the LDAP servers. We have already running JIRA 8.4.3 (server) version along with MySQL DB running on separate server. 

Can you please tell me how can I reconfigure the JIRA for our new LDAP.  

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2020

Hi Shruti,

We have a good overview guide on how to setup Jira to connect to LDAP over in Connecting to an LDAP directory.

In order to follow those steps you will need to be a system administrator in Jira first.  From there you will also need to know a fair bit of the LDAP settings in order for Jira to be able to connect to LDAP and sync those users/groups over.

Usually it tends to be easier to create a new user directory in Jira and then add those new settings there.  Once this is done, you can then order that directory above the other existing directory to effectively replace it.  If the old LDAP is still actually operational, this approach is better because it leaves you the ability to switch back to it rather quickly.  Making changes like this have the ability to prevent your end users from being able to login to Jira, so it helps to have a quick fallback plan here if the settings are not perfect.

It might also help to setup a staging server first and test these changes there before doing this to a production Jira instance.  This just helps to avoid unexpected downtime for your end users.

Andy

Suggest an answer