How to receive email notifications when an Epic has an Issue added to it

bgoodr January 16, 2018

Bottom of the page shows this version:

Atlassian JIRA Project Management Software (v7.1.7#71011-sha1:2526d7c)

I have user added to the WatchList of an Epic. some other user has added an item to that Epic. My expectation was that I would receive email notification(s) when that happens, but that did not happen. What do I need to configure or change to ensure that future additions of Jira items into that Epic result in an email notification back to my email account?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2018

Your observation is absolutely logical with the philosophy of Atlassians implementation of another entity above "issue".

When you add a story to an epic, not the epic is modified but the story get an entry in the field "Epic Link".

The Agile Plugin itself resolves the relation epic<->story when loaded.

What could help is to implement a groovy script that is called when a stories' "Epic Link" field is modified. This script could resolve the epic and then simply add a comment to the epic and all watchers would get a mail.

bgoodr January 24, 2018

Thanks. Now that clarifies things for me.

No, I'm not going to spend time implementing a groovy script. It is not worth the time cost for me personally at the moment.

Suggest an answer