How to read summary of Jira story via API

david cockrell May 13, 2021

Hi Jira experts,

I wonder if anyone can help me with the following... 

We have created an integration between our INM ideation platform and Jira.

INM Campaign is mapped with Jira project

INM idea is mapped with Jira story

etc...

Basically when we create an Idea on INM, the integration will create a respective story on Jira side.

Then on INM side, we wish to display the info from the Jira story

here we have a problem: we cannot find a way to display the summary of the Jira story

We are following this documentation: 

https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/jira-rest-api-examples/

under "Input data":

{ "fields": { "project": { "key": "TEST" }, "summary": "REST ye merry gentlemen.", "description": "Creating of an issue using project keys and issue type names using the REST API", "issuetype": { "name": "Bug" } } }

Thus there are 2 fields only from server while creating object (Jira story) - id and key. The id is an internal number and key is the story key

How can we have an additional option for object summary?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Regards, 

David CK

1 answer

0 votes
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

Hi @david cockrell , welcome on the community. I the steps should be as follows:

1. you call Jira REST Endpoint to create a story. It must contain some mandatory fields like project->key, issuetype->name, summary, description
  2. the pair of key and id is returned as a response
  3. you need to store id or key in INM solution
  4. you call /rest/api/2/issue/{issue id or key} to get the summary -> you always get story in current status, so if anyone changes the summary, new summary is loaded in INM

Did I understand your problem correctly?

david cockrell May 20, 2021

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply. (and sorry for the delay in my response)

We use this method while we perform update procedure.

But what we need is to get summary filed in the response of the create procedure.

I.e. When I post to /rest/api /2/issue to create a ticket, I want a summary field in response.

Any suggestions on this would be dearly appreciated :-)

Thanks.

Kind regards,

David CK

Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

Hi @david cockrell I still don't get the use case.

Summary is something you send with your request from client's side. So you have this information on client side already.

The description of POST method is here: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-issues/#api-rest-api-3-issue-post

Only ID and Key attributes are returned during the creation.

Suggest an answer