How to re-open closed tasks?

Denis Ivanov March 20, 2014

We need to re-open closed tasks sometimes. I did a reserch in Jira documentation, but did not find references to that.

Could you please help me to find a way for re-opening closed tasks?

2 answers

1 vote
Alper Şener March 20, 2014

you need to create a transition from closed to whatever open status you want to be able to go to ( some people create a status called "reopened" and others just go back to a status like "in progress" or whatever.

And then check the permissions to be sure the right people have permission to "reopen" the task and you should be able to do it no problem.

I tried this, but Jira does not allow me to create such transition links. It appears that there is some specific parameter that ned to be changed in settings.

Do you have info about required changes in settings?

Alper Şener March 20, 2014

what was the notice while u creating transitions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2014

What does "does not allow me to create" mean? You have to be an administrator, open up the workflow and edit it. There's two editing modes - a "draft" where you have only limited options (mostly changing transitions) and a "full" edit mode where you can do anything. Which are you in?

Sven [Dione Technology]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2014

Are you using the JIRA default workflow ?

if yes, copy it and add the transition on newly created workflow !

WideTI Bot June 1, 2016

Facing the same issue here. When I click to publish the Draft Workflow I got this error message "

You are editing a draft workflow. The step 'Closed' has no outgoing transitions in the Active workflow, so you cannot add any outgoing transitions in the Draft workflow"

Like Ankit Yadav likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2016

It's a known bug in JIRA.  The workaround is that you need to create a new workflow and migrate to it (obviously, copy the existing one as the baseline though)

WideTI Bot June 1, 2016

Thanks for the tip Nic! It worked here!

0 votes

Thank you all for quick replies.

Special thanks to Nic Brough: my issue was in using draft mode instead of full editing.

Suggest an answer