How to (re-)add the "Status" column to issue overview

Stefan Haas July 29, 2017

Recently all my columns disappeared from my all issues list. I could recover most of them, except the "Status" colum. Once I try to add a column and search for "Status" I get all kind of partial matches (ordered alphabetically), but "Status" itself is in the non-displayed 29 entries behind the listed ones. As I can't select the right checkbox, it won't be added.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2017

Ah, you have massive "fielditis" then.

The workaround for this particular symptom of fielditis is to add columns from the list.  When you add one, it removes it from the selection list, making room for another entry from the non-displayed ones to come on to the list.  Add columns until you get the status you need on the list, then remove the extra columns you didn't really want.  Not ideal, but it'll do the job.  (The "right" answer is to fix your fielditis - you really shouldn't have many fields called "status")

Stefan Haas August 2, 2017

Hi Nic, nice try. I marked all suggestions as you suggested, but none of them was taken off the (limited) suggestion list. The same ones remain, but marked. So the "just status" column is still in the last (non-reachable) part ... No solution

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2017

Bother, I was hoping you might be on a version where that worked.

The two other options are

1.  Throw it away - use the "reset defaults" option at the top of the list and start again

2.  Deal with your fielditis - more than two or three status type fields means something is wrong with your design.

Stefan Haas August 2, 2017

Hi,

my company uses JIRA 6.4.14 and there are almost 3000 columns defined worldwide (VF), I guess some 60+ status columns.

When I try "MyDefaults" (at the top of the list in the columns pulldown) nothing at all happens. Before I started adding columns all columns were gone.

Is there any (admin) way to unscrew my account? I already talked to the guy and he advised me to use various thing there were not in my screen so he's kinda pissed off now already. So I need precise advice to convince him to try some more.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2017

Do you not get the "restore defaults" when you pop the Columns list in the navigator?Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 14.22.32.png

Stefan Haas August 3, 2017

From another system I do see the "Restore" Button, but that only deletes all columns again:

j.gif

and this is the list I get when searching for column "status" ... it's somewhere in the 26 remaining options (that I cannot select)

j2.gif

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2017

Ah, great, one of your administrators has destroyed the default settings.  You'll need to get them to repair them, ensuring that they bring in status.

Suggest an answer