How to query linked issues of a specific type ?

Srilatha Kolla August 27, 2017

Hi there,

We have an issue type called Lowlevel requirements and we link issue type stories to it. How can I create a query that lists all the lowlevel requirements in a project along with their linked story details.

LLR1 - Summary >> 

STY 1- Summary 1

STY 2- Summary 2

LLR2 - Summary  

Basically a report to show the linked issues as well any parent that is missing the links of type Story.

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
John D_ Lewis November 4, 2020

A little late to the party, but, Srilatha, if you're open to using a tool outside of Jira (i.e. no fees/costs), take a look at https://github.com/jolewis-ddn/jira-status-reporter - it lets you run a report of all requirements and the epics/stories that are linked ("is implemented by"/"implements") to them. Once you set it up (set the Jira URL, username, password/token), and start the local server, you can run a report. Right now the issue type name is hard-coded to "requirement" - but that could easily be made a configuration item. If you're curious about it, let me know. Would be happy to walk through it with you.

John D_ Lewis November 4, 2020

Disclaimer: I wrote that tool

Like Nataliia Pravdiuk likes this
Senthil Chidambaram February 7, 2022

@John D_ Lewis can you guide me how to setup and run this one?

John D_ Lewis February 9, 2022

@Senthil Chidambaram happy to help. I don't have your email address, so please send it to me at 20220207ac@c7d18c38b8834bb7a5.4wrd.cc.

I don't see a way to PM you on this platform

Senthil Chidambaram February 15, 2022

@John D_ Lewis  i can't send to the email id you gave not sure if it's because of two @@.

do you mind sending me a note to

s23281007@gmail.com
0 votes
Srilatha Kolla August 28, 2017

Thanks Andy. I tried that already. But I'm loking for not a specific issues id. I am looking for all the LLR's for a given project and their linked stories in one query, incluidng summary and id for both LLR's as well as Stories. I couldn't achieve through the JQL.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2017

Ah, in that case, then yes, the native JIRA JQL searching probably won't be able to do all this.   However I would recommend taking a look at a plugin to JIRA that should be able to do this.   For example the JQL Tricks plugin has a function called linkedIssuesInProject that appears it could be used to find all the linked issues on a per project basis.

It might also be possible to do this with something like Search Linked Issues or Scriptunner. However the search syntax might be slightly different for each of these plugins.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2017

You could use the linkedissues() function in JQL in order to search for all the issues linked to this LLR1 issue.   So for example, if your LLR-1 was the issue key, you could create a JQL search such as

issue in linkedissues(LLR-1)

This would return all the issues in JIRA that are linked to that LLR-1 issue.  From there you could then just adjust which columns you wanted to see in the search results to include the Summary field.  That way you could do this natively within JIRA.  Just note that this alone would not return the LLR-1 issue, just the issues linked to it.   But if that too is important to the search results, it could easily be adjusted with something like

issue in linkedissues(LLR-1) OR issuekey=LLR-1

Suggest an answer