How to pull in Initiatives into swimlanes

Ron Hunt March 29, 2019

I am trying to configure swimlanes on my Kanban board that uses initiatives as the swimlanes.  I can create the JQL query to do this, but it is not linking in the epics, stories, or subtasks that are all orgainzaed under these initiatives.  For example, if I have an ititiative called Agile Initiative, with a corresponding Epic called Agile Epic, a story called Agile Story, and a sub-task called Agile Sub-Task for example.  All of these issues are linked to each other.  When I put the subtask into the In Progress column, the swimlane is not created.  The JQL that i'm using is a simple one, issuetype = initiative and issuekey =  (the key assigned to the initiative that i'm interested in).  When I put the initiative into In Progress, the swimlane is created, but the cascaded issues associated with this issue aren't.  Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. 

1 answer

0 votes
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2019

@Ron Hunt ,

This happens because a JQL-query restricts the type of tasks to the Initiative, therefore you cannot see the types (epic, task, subtask).

try to create swimlanes under each specific initiative.

Do you have a scriptrunner?

Do I understand correctly that all the epics, tasks, subtasks have a direct connection with the initiative?

For your case, you can create a separate swimlane for Initiative (KEY-1) using the JQL - issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf ("key = KEY-1")

So you will have all issues associated with an Initiative(KEY-1).

Alsa Pedone July 21, 2021

Is there a way to use scriptrunner to automate the addition of swimlane queries when a new Initiative ticket is created? For instance, I have my board set up with swimlanes based on Initiatives and their child tickets using queries written as suggested above. Can I use scriptrunner to update new queries in the board if I add a new Initiative?

Lorie Péron December 16, 2021

Hello :) 
I'm also interested to do the same Alsa. Did you find a solution?

Thanks!

Suggest an answer