How to prioritize bugs based on a 3 dimensional approach?

Raphael Allegre November 3, 2013

Hello,

We are currently using JIRA for our software development process. Our QA team, test our product and report bugs. Bugs are currently prioritized based on their severity... we use the JIRA system field called "Priority" and we have 4 values: "Critical", Blocking", "Major" and "Minor"

The problem we have with this approach is that it is only based on only one dimension, the severity...

Today, we are looking for an approach that would combine not only the severity but the probability to find the bug and the visibility of the bug to the end user. The overall Priority should be automatically calculated by the system (JIRA) based on the 3 dimensions previously listed. The idea is to avoid human errors.

How can we implement that with our JIRA OnDemand? What are the best practices around bug prioritization? how can we please our internal requests regarding a 3 dimensional approach? Any help, tips from your side is welcome.

Cheers,

Raphael

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2013

Normally, I'd recommend a derived field of some sort (I've written a couple, but tend to use the script runner plugin to do them now) - something that would look at the priority and severity (or whatever your fields are), do a bit of interpretation and mathematics on it, and then show a combined result.

Problem is that you can't install any such plugin into OnDemand, or the Script Runner plugin, so you can't take that approach. I suspect your only option is a custom field that your humans have to calculate and maintain.

Although, in the long run, Atlassian Connect looks like it will enable you to install something that can do this in OnDemand.

Raphael Allegre November 3, 2013

Ok thx Nic! It looks like we will wait for Atlassian Connect then...

Suggest an answer