How to prevent specific Roles or Groups from updating FixVersion?

Ian D December 12, 2011

I want to be able to prevent Developers, Testers, and Product users from editing the FixVersion. Any tips on best of achieving this? I still want it to be visible though. It should only be editable by Tech Manager and Amdin roles.

I guess it's similar to this thread regarding Assignee: http://forums.atlassian.com/thread.jspa?threadID=55213, but there doesn't seem to be a pre-existing permission re FixVersion.

This is fairly essential ... currently I have ego's in those roles out there, updating FixVersion willy nilly ... not good! :)

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ian D January 2, 2012

This is how to do it (i.e. How to control which JIRA Roles can edit FixVersion):

• JIRA Administration option: Permissions Scheme (per project), contains a permission option "Resolve Issues";
  • It's description contains a cute/subtle little line " …includes ability to set a fix version”;
  • You can specifiy Roles, Groups, and Individuals to have this Permission.

Prerequisites: having a well-defined set of project Roles, and Users correctly assigned to their respective Roles.

Ack: thanks to my colleague Steven Bruce for pointing in the right general direction.

Hope this is useful to the wider community!

Ian D January 2, 2012

In relation it's also worth being aware of how to workaround the associate between Resolve Issues and FixVersion: http://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=152043579

0 votes
NielsJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2011

As far as I know JIRA does not support field-level security. The usual solution for this is the following:

• remove the field from all screens in the associated workflow
  • create a new screen with only that field
  • add a new transition to the workflow that refers to the new screen (the transition has the same start and end state, eventually you want to add several of such "loops")
  • apply permissions to the new transision
Ian D January 2, 2012

Thanks for this suggestion Niels. I looked into applying this approach but it was going to be a fair amount of effort and prone to me making configuration mistakes. So I carried on investigating and encountered an elegant solution, and the way I suspect Atlassian intend it to be used. After >2 years using JIRA I'm still constantly suprised at the range of control hidden in nooks and cranies :)

Suggest an answer