How to prevent project leads from adding users

Wim September 30, 2014

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my licenses.

I have a license limit at 100 users. My counter sets right now on 90 current active users.

I saw that there are users that are in JIRA but don't work anymore with JIRA.

You can put users into the JIRA local directory, but we are using an Active Directory. I thought to disable the local user directory, but with users from outside our FOD that do tests and has to have access to JIRA. It is not smart to disable the local directory.

So i want to know how i can delete users that surely don't work anymore with JIRA. I mean deleting users so it affects the license counter.

Thanks and kind regards

Wim

2 answers

0 votes
Wim September 30, 2014

HI Udo,

Ok i will do that.

How can i prevent someone from adding users to JIRA?

For example, the project leaders they add users to there projects, while they didn't asked to add these users via Active Directory.

The goal is to only be able to add the users to the Active Directory and use only the Active Directory groups in JIRA.

Wim

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2014

In order to add users to JIRA you need to have the administer privileges. Do your project peads need to have that or would the administer project permission be sufficient for them (so they can add existing users into project roles)?

Wim September 30, 2014

Project leads are in the AD in the Jira-administrators group.They have to manage only the projects. They must ask the jira-admins to add users to JIRA (Active Directory)

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2014

So the problem is that project leads are in the Jira-administrator group, that is why they can add users (to the Jira Internal Directory). If the project leads would be normal jira-users they still could manage the project (via administer project permission) but they would not be able anymore to add users. Then the only way to add users would be as you said via the admins.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2014

You really don't want your project leads having admin rights, they can (and usually do) make a right mess of your Jira. Admins should be a very small group of people - 3 to 10 at most

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2014

Don't delete the users (that can break things in JIRA), you can simply set them inactive, so they will not count towards your license.

See: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Users#ManagingUsers-Deactivatingauser

Suggest an answer