How to prevent new component values being added to the Component/s field?

Dinesh Loyapalli June 14, 2017

We have like 28 components in our project.When i type something which isnt a component(Lets say ABC) its asking me to add it as a new Component.Is there an option to prevent new component values from being added to our component list?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2017

I believe you see this only if you have the Administer Project permission for a project. If you don't want users to be able to add components in this way (or at all), I would revisit your permission scheme for the project.

Dinesh Loyapalli June 15, 2017

Thanks for the response..We are using Default software scheme for the project.Where am i supposed to add the premission for the Field Component/s ?

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2017

There is no permission specific to the Components field, or any field for that matter. You'll need to look in the default permission scheme for the project and update it accordingly.

In the Project permissions overview on this page, you should see details about the Administer projects permission in the first row. Anyone who falls into this permission will be able to add components, for example.

To find out who gets this permission, check the permission scheme you use for the project. If you're using the default, I believe this permission will belong to:

• Project Role: Administrators (i.e. anyone in this project role for the project)
  • Group: jira-system-administrators (i.e. anyone in this user group, regardless of belonging to the project). This name might be different, but there will likely be a default user group here.

Check both the Project Role and user group mentioned above to see who belongs to those roles and groups, then remove the users you don't want to have those permissions granted by Administer projects.

Dinesh Loyapalli June 15, 2017

Thank you so much...The information you have provided is helpful. 

Suggest an answer