How to prefill a subtask field with info from parent

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2012

If memory serves -- and I could be mistaken -- I thought I once had things set so that when I created a subtask the contents of the parent's description field was placed into the subtask's description field.

I can do that now, but you don't see the field's contents until after the subtask is officially created.

I want to see the field filled in on the initial creation screen.

Any ideas?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2012

Figured out a kudgy way:

Copy subtask 'Description' to temp field.

Copy parent 'Description' -- goes into subtask 'Description'

Copy the (new) subtask 'Description' to the subtask field where you really want it

Copy the temp field back to subtask 'Description'

But all I really want is a way to put various Parent fields on the Subtask screen.

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2016

There's now a very easy to configure way to keep fields for parents and sub-tasks in sync using Automation for JIRA!

You can easily modify related issues (such as parents, stories, sub-tasks, epics, linked issues and even JQL) using our related issues action and condition:

(this example updates the description, but pretty much any field can be edited)

For more details see https://blog.codebarrel.io/synchronize-parent-and-sub-task-issues-with-automation-for-jira-bdcca6c9d453

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2012

You can use post function "Set Field Value from parent" on the create step, but I don't think it's possible to see the copied value on the create screen itself - because this is a post-function it's not going to occur until you've completed the step. I'm not sure how you would have configured it previously to display on the create screen?

0 votes
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2012

No. Other way around.

I want the text in the parent's 'Description' field to be written into the subtask's 'Description' field on the screen when the user first sees the subtask.

I can already copy the text to the field with a post task, but not until the subtask is saved the first time. I want the text in the field the first time the user sees it so s/he can edit the text as appropriate for the subtask.

The best I can do is to take the description off the screen and thus force the user to create the subtask and then re-open it for editing ... which is too much trouble for the user.

0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2012

Hi George,

If I understood correctly, you want to have subtask custom field display in your parent issue?

Suggest an answer