How to open Wallboard directly from a desktop shortcut

Eldon Wong April 28, 2017

I'm on JIRA Cloud and using Chrome on Windows.

I would like to be able to open the JIRA Wallboard directly from a shortcut on my desktop.

I've created a dashboard and can view it as a wallboard by selecting "View as wallboard".  When the wallboard shows up, I've copied down the URL displayed on my browser.

I can open a new window, paste in the URL for the wallboard, and it displays the wallboard without a problem.  However, when I close all my browser windows and start Chrome again, and then paste in the URL for the wallboard, all I get is a black screen.  

Note that JIRA has been set to remember my username and password.

What step am I missing?

1 answer

1 vote
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2017

Hi Eldon,

I tried out your scenario, following your steps.  If I still have an open browser session in the JIRA application, I'm able to launch a wallboard from a Windows desktop shortcut.  If I log out of JIRA and then try it however, I get the blank, black screen you mention.

I'd submit an feature request to put some kind of "oops, you're not logged in...click there to login" type of message on the walboard screen for this condition.  Actually, all of JIRA could do with some improved "don't forget to login" language!  ;)  Different users ask me each week why they can't view data.  It's always because they've followed a link to some dashboard or filter and they're not logged in.

Hope this helps,

Rachel Wright

Eldon Wong May 1, 2017

Thanks Rachel.  The reason why I'm asking about this is because that machine is not JUST an information radiator.  We have our daily standups around it too.

What I want is a way to quickly bring the wallboard back up again after our daily standups even if we've accidentally closed all previous windows.

And even better would be to automatically start the wallboard after the machine restarts.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this?

Like Josh Simnitt likes this

Suggest an answer