How to not download a text file attachment in Jira but view it in the browser?

Patrick Coleman September 24, 2012

We attach a lot of log files (.txt) to our jira issues and when I click on them the browser (Chrome and Firefox) only wants to download the file.

I distinctly remember in older versions of Jira or the browswers where you could open the txt files directly in the browser which is much more convienant.

Any ideas?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Aleksander Mierzwicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2012

You may set "Internet Explorer MIME Sniffing Security Hole Workaround Policy" in Administration -> General Configuration to "Work around Internet Explorer security hole" or to "Insecure: inline display of attachments". You probably have this configured as "Secure: forced download of attachments for all browsers" .

But remember that showing some attachments inline (for example flash animations) may open security holes in your instance.

Does this configuration helped?

Patrick Coleman September 26, 2012

I'm on a Mac so an IE solution won't work for me. I'd hate to use IE even if I was on a PC.

I know this use case used to work. I just don't know if the browsers changed or if Jira somehow changed the way it creates the hyperlink for attachments.

Aleksander Mierzwicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2012

Did you check that configuration? It's not only IE related - it works with Firefox, Opera and Chrome and Leopard.

If you have "Insecure: inline display of attachments" set then this may be your browser configuration that causes this behaviour.

Patrick Coleman September 27, 2012

I get it now and yes the issue was the 'Internet Explorer MIME Sniffing Security Hole Workaround Policy' setting Jira->Admin->General Config->Options.

It's soooo nice to not have to download a text log file anymore. Thanks!

Aleksandre Sanadiradze October 11, 2019

Hello.
This works with txt but what about csv or doc or docx or xlsx?
Please give our solution.
Costumers want just to view attached files, without downloading.
Thank you.

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2012

It's a browser setting, Jira hasn't changed. Firefox still downloads the attachment inline.

Maybe it's your settings and you need to tell Safari that it's a safe file?

http://www.tikirobot.net/wp/2006/12/03/automatically-opening-your-own-downloaded-files-with-safari/

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2012

Mmm, that's more a function of the browser than the web-application. You should be able to tell your browser to open text files (and almost anything else) in the browser, rather than downloading and opening it.

Suggest an answer