How to not download a text file attachment in Jira but view it in the browser?

We attach a lot of log files (.txt) to our jira issues and when I click on them the browser (Chrome and Firefox) only wants to download the file.

I distinctly remember in older versions of Jira or the browswers where you could open the txt files directly in the browser which is much more convienant.

Any ideas?

3 answers

1 accepted

You may set "Internet Explorer MIME Sniffing Security Hole Workaround Policy" in Administration -> General Configuration to "Work around Internet Explorer security hole" or to "Insecure: inline display of attachments". You probably have this configured as "Secure: forced download of attachments for all browsers" .

But remember that showing some attachments inline (for example flash animations) may open security holes in your instance.

Does this configuration helped?

I'm on a Mac so an IE solution won't work for me. I'd hate to use IE even if I was on a PC.

I know this use case used to work. I just don't know if the browsers changed or if Jira somehow changed the way it creates the hyperlink for attachments.

Did you check that configuration? It's not only IE related - it works with Firefox, Opera and Chrome and Leopard.

If you have "Insecure: inline display of attachments" set then this may be your browser configuration that causes this behaviour.

I get it now and yes the issue was the 'Internet Explorer MIME Sniffing Security Hole Workaround Policy' setting Jira->Admin->General Config->Options.

It's soooo nice to not have to download a text log file anymore. Thanks!

0 vote

Mmm, that's more a function of the browser than the web-application. You should be able to tell your browser to open text files (and almost anything else) in the browser, rather than downloading and opening it.

It's a browser setting, Jira hasn't changed. Firefox still downloads the attachment inline.

Maybe it's your settings and you need to tell Safari that it's a safe file?

http://www.tikirobot.net/wp/2006/12/03/automatically-opening-your-own-downloaded-files-with-safari/

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

84 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you