How to nest issue types?

Vlad Gomzyakov April 4, 2017

I want to be able to create an epic, under it a feature, under that feature a story, under that story a task, under that task a subtask.

So I'd be able to have bread crumb links of this format:

Project Name / Epic / Feature / Story / Task / Subtask

How can I accomplish that?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2017

You can't.  JIRA's structure is

Project Category / Project / Issue / Sub-task

Project categories are not particularly functional - a project can have only one category and it does not do anything other than group projects together.  It's mostly a label for the humans.

Epic does give you another layer, but it only does it when you have JIRA Software installed, and it's not quite what you think, because what you get is an issue type at the "issue" level I mention, but one that can contain other issues at the same level across projects.

You could add Portfolio to get initiatives and themes for more layers, but those layers are much more about planning than anything else.

The only option that gets you close is the "Structure" add-on.

Vlad Gomzyakov April 4, 2017

I see, that's a shame. I don't see Structure available when looking for it but I have Jira Cloud so there might be no version available for this.

I am able to create a story under feature by choosing "is child task of" in Linked Issues during the issue creation. And then a child task under that story. Can I take advantage of that somehow? I just need to see that linkage represented in a easily comprehensible/visual way. Right now I can see that an issue has a parent task but I need to be able to see the full branch and even better - the full tree of such issues with children. 

Like Natalie Navickas likes this
Natalie Navickas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 2, 2024

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- has this answer changed at all? Would be great to have this visualisation of nested items 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2024

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Structure is available for Cloud now, but there's no native way to do sub-task-of-a-subtask.

Suggest an answer