How to move subtask of parent to new project after moving parent to new project?

Molly Favret April 17, 2012

I moved a parent ticket to a new project, and was hoping the subtask would move as well but it did not. So now I have a case where the parent and subtask have different projects (different keys) but still have the parent-subtask relationship.

How can I move the subtasks over to the new project as well?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2012

Have you tried going to the Sub-Task, select the 'Move' option and follow the steps? You can choose the same parent again, but this it will have the new project key.

Molly Favret April 17, 2012

Yes, I had tried that but it didnt work. When I chose the parent, it said this is already the parent for the subtask. The parent key is updated, but the subtask key is not.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2012

Here it is a support issue about this matter.

Molly Favret April 18, 2012

Thanks. It seems the only workaround is to migrate it to a parent type issue, migrate to the correct project, then migrate back to a subtask, is this correct?

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2012

Mmh... It looks like a bug. A possible workaround could be to clone the subtask to the parent in the new project. Or moving to other parent and then move to the real one.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2012

I though about it but I'm not finding how to migrate back to a subtask, did you found out how to?

Molly Favret April 18, 2012

This issue is marked as resolved, but not sure that seems like a great solution! Regardless. thanks for your help!

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2012

And just in case, most of the users of the Atlassian Answers aren't from Atlassian. We can only give tips or workaround or advice. If you want a change in the Jira you need to create a support issue on support.atlassian.com

Cheers!

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2012

You have to mark as answered in the right corner of the answer, the check button.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2012

Yes, that will be the best workaround. Has it worked?

4 votes
John Minne January 9, 2013

I tried to move subtasks along with their parents and Jira tried to keep the sub-tasks in the original Project.

To do a bulk move and get the subtasks moved I had to:

1) update the filter with "AND type != Subtask"

2) Go through the Move wizard

3) Subtasks were automatically included and were moved.

Sudipta Panda April 22, 2016

Above solution works perfectly fine.

Regards

Sudipta

Benson April 4, 2020

Hi @John Minne , I tried the above steps, and moved to new project. the parent sub-task relationship is perfect, but the time log entered on the sub-task didn't get migrated. Has anyone come across such situation?

Vladislav May 4, 2021

Thanks a lot for that advise @John Minne 

It works perfectly as expected!

Suggest an answer