How to move a sub-task on a Kanban board when parent task is in a different state?

Herman Bastiaens May 16, 2013

Hi,

We are using a Kanban board across two projects to prioritize tasks. It's working nicely, except for sub-tasks.

If a sub-task is in a different state than its parent task, the parent task shows greyed out on the board, and it's not possible to move either the sub-task or the parent task in relation to other issues to determine the Rank. We would like to move the parent task (with all the sub-tasks) in relation to other issues.

e.g. parent task (Task-5) is in state "In Progress" and sub-task (SubTask-1) is in state "Analysis". SubTask-1 will show in the "Analysis" column as a sub-task of Task-5 (as it should), but Task-5 cannot be moved in this column because it is not in the "Analysis" state. Task-5 can be moved in the "In Progress" column (as it should).

Is this expected behavior? We would like to rank the parent task in all columns it appears, to be able to rank the sub-tasks in relation to other issues with the same state.

Thanks

6 answers

4 votes
Vlad Gomzyakov January 9, 2018

I'm having the same issue. Have you found a solution for this?

2 votes
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2013

Do you have a "Parent Status Validator" set for the transitions in your workflow? This validator limits subtasks from transitioning when the issue's parent issue is in a specific status.

Herman Bastiaens May 20, 2013

Thank you for your answer.

We don't have a status validator set, but I don't think that would solve this issue. There are valid cases for a subtask to be in a different state than its parent issue. For instance, the parent can be "In Progress", while the subtask is "To Do" or "Done".

1 vote
Anne-Marie Scheidegger March 28, 2019

I have the same issue: We would like to rank the support-subtasks that are mixed in with support tasks on our kanban board.

1 vote
Thiago Schmid October 18, 2018

I'm having the same problem, I can move the subtasks within the Main task but I can't order the rank with other tasks in the same column. The subtasks are within a greyed out task that is not movable.

1 vote
Eric Caillibot March 15, 2018

I'm also having the same issue. It is complicating setting priorities on the board.

0 votes
jwoan February 26, 2021

This is a depressing hack, but you can reorder the other tickets around it. Hopefully we get a fix soon.

Suggest an answer