How to modify the reporter?

SamK December 10, 2012

Hi,

For some reason, a few issues have reporter "Anonymous". I want to put the name of a person instead.

I have the "Modify Reporter" permissions enabled but I cannot find any place where I can modify the "Reporter" field.

Where do I change the "Reporter" field of a Jira issue?

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2012

Seeing also that you refer to issues (plural) then you might be wanting to change reporter on more than one issue at a time.

The "Bulk Operation Step 3 of 4" screen allows you to change reporter.

8 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2012

My guess is that although you have got the right permissions (my first guess when I read the title was permissions were stopping you), you have not put the reporter on the "edit" screen. Have a look at the projects "screen scheme" and drill down to the edit screen for the issue-type you are trying to edit.

Eleanor Hart April 5, 2019

I was having an odd problem where no one could modify the reporter on a custom sub-task issue type, but they could on every other issue type. It was confusing the heck out of me, but this solved the problem. Adding reporter to the edit screen ftw! Thanks so much for posting this!

Like Muhammad likes this
Aroldo Esmerio May 17, 2019

Thanks, i was with the same problem and solved adding reporter field in screem

Like teamcostillitas likes this
alin.basuljevic April 17, 2020

I have it added in my screen and it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2020

Have you checked the "change reporter" permission?

Ivan Perez August 21, 2020

I've confirmed that I am listed under Modify Reporter within the Permissions Schemes, yet when I attempt to change the existing Reporter name on a ticket, it doesn't allow it. 

Muhammad October 16, 2020

Thanks Nic.
Adding reporter to Edit screen helped me as well

Matthew December 17, 2020

Same deal for me.  I'm the Jira Admin and am a member of the Modify Reporter permission scheme associated with the project, but no change.

Is there a "Change Reporter" option vs. "Modify Reporter"?

Ah, our case, I had to add Reporter to the Field Configuration Screen Scheme.  Then, I could edit the issue and change the Reporter.  That was the missing piece.

2 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2012

just like nic said...make sure your projects permission includes you in "Modify Reporter"

0 votes
Olga Fedorovskaya April 28, 2013

Make sure that you add "Reported" into your Edit screen or whichever screen you would like to show.

Suggest an answer