How to modify the filter of watched issues gadget

Subhash Karemore June 21, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Adding the Watched Issues Gadget

I have added the "Watched Issues" gadget to my dashboard. It is showing all issues on which I am watcher including issues assigned to me/currentuser. I already have other widgets like "Assigned to me" and "Issues in progress" where I can see the issues assigned to me. I don't want issues which are assigned to me to be displayed again in watched issues gadget. Its duplication of issues.

On edit page of "Watched issues" gadget, there is an option to include resolved issues, however there is no option to not to include current user issues.

For short term solution, what is the way to modify the "watched issues gadget", if I don't want to include the issues which are assigned to current user?

For long term solution, you may want to add checkbox for "include current user issues" like existing "include resolved issues" on edit page of "watched issues".

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2016

No, the gadget does what it is supposed to, and what people expect it to - shows you the issues you are a watcher on.  It would be counter-intuitive to have it start dropping issues out because they might be on another gadget (that this gadget has no information about)

You should replace it with a "filter results" gadget instead.  One that uses a filter that shows you want you're looking for here.  It sounds like maybe the following would be a start:

watcher = currentUser() and assignee != currentUser()

Subhash Karemore June 22, 2016

Yes, I know that it does what is supposed to. Initially I was using filter only. But the problem with filter is that it shows only count, it doesn't show the list. We have to click on filter to get the list. Gadgets are better then filter. That's I searched for watched issues gadget, found it and added it.

But what's wrong in giving one more extra option to user? it doesn't harm. It gives more flexibility to user. If user want to list the watched issues which are assigned to them, they can check that checkbox or they can uncheck that checkbox if they don't want.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2016

Filter results shows a list of issues (truncated if the results are large, but the watched issues gadget does a similar truncation)

The option you are asking for here is counter-intuitive at best, and quite hard to code for too.  You'd need to be asking the dashboard if there are other gadgets that might be showing issues from the list to exclude from this one.

What would it display if I put it on a dashboard on its own?  A list of issues described as "things you're watching", but an incorrect list, because you've removed issues from it.  You're requiring the user to understand that it's "watched issues that you're not the assignee on".  You'd at least want to change the title to make that clear, of course, but then you're into the minefield of other "what ifs".  Option for reporter?  Other custom fields?  Participants?  and so-on.   Wouldn't it be better to keep it plain and clear - "watcher" gadget reports on what you're watching, assignee gadget lists your assignments, and then have a generic "filter" gadget that gives the user the freedom to use whatever filter they want?

Subhash Karemore June 22, 2016

I guess I was missing something. Since you referred Filter results. I searched for Filter results gadget and fount it. Now I am using Filter results gadget instead of watched issues which is solving my problem. Thanks a lot. I didn't know about Filter results gadget. You could have told me about Filter results gadget rearlier.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2016

My very first response to your question explicitly said

You should replace it with a "filter results" gadget instead.

I'd suggest taking a little more care next time you're reading an answer.

Like Frances_Downey likes this
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2016
(y)

Suggest an answer