How to migrate from JIRA v6.4.14 to JIRA v7.6.1

adminsolbegsoft December 15, 2017

Hello!
We need to migrate from JIRA v6.4.14 (Windows Server 2012) to JIRA v7.6.1 (Windows Sever 2016);
Currently we are using JIRA v6.4.14 with MySQL database (5.6.37 version). All the information from old JIRA instance should be copied to new JIRA server (all projects, attachments, plugins, users and groups and permissions for them). I have tried to make mysqldump of current database and restore it to the new database (for databases we are using the same MySQL server, used this manual to create new database https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-802592179.html). Then I copied folders and files from JIRA home directory of the current instance and pasted them into the home directory of the new JIRA instance (except dbconfig.xml, JIRA service was stopped). After this manipulations the server with JIRA v7.6.1 was rebooted but when I tried to load start page of JIRA (http://localhost:8080/) I had a blank page.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2017

We don't recommend trying to upgrade Jira 6.x and before versions directly to any 7.2.x or higher versions in a single upgrade.   There are some scenarios where it can work. But skipping that 7.0.x version upgrade can have other consequences in regards to being unable to update your plugin data in relation to Jira.   This recommendation is also echoed in our Skipping major versions when upgrading JIRA applications - Atlassian Documentation.

I would recommend that you upgrade in this path:

6.4.14 -> 7.0.11 -> 7.6.1

It is also very important to make sure that when you first do this 7.0.x upgrade, that you also install/update all the plugins you need to use with Jira on that version.   This steps is very important to make sure you can then continue to upgrade your data in later versions.  Skipping this step has known to cause problems for both Jira Service Desk and Jira Software when upgrading from older versions. 

Also since you are switching servers at the same time as this upgrade, you need to make sure that you restore your attachments and other /data/ directory files before you actually start up the newer Jira version to preform this upgrade.   That is because it's possible Jira could change the filename formats or filepath formats for your attachments files during an upgrade.  If those files can't be found on the disk at the time this upgrade happens, you can end up in a stuck state where you have broken attachments.

I would instead recommend following the guide: Migrating Jira applications to a new server.  This guide better takes into account the steps need to successfully migrate all your data when changing servers, even if you are also upgrading at the same time.

I am also a fan of our Upgrade Guide for Jira 7.2.  It notes a number of the pitfalls admins see when trying to upgrade Jira and seeks to help you prevent making these common mistakes.

Suggest an answer