How to migrate data from JIRA 7.0 (Server) to JIRA 8.2 (Data-Center)?

Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2019

Hi,

We currently have JIRA SERVER 7.0.9 and are planning to migrate to JIRA 8.2 Data Center. Also, in the process, we are switching from Oracle to SQL Server.

So, on one of the data-center nodes, we have installed JIRA data-center 7.0.9 with SQL Server 2012. We would be exporting XML from our current setup and importing in this node. Can I and do I need to add plugins here? (This step is purely to convert data from oracle to sql 2012, because jira 7.0 supports sql server 2012, whereas we want to use sql server 2016)

My question here is:

1. When I am migrating data from JIRA 7.0 server to JIRA 7.0 data-center, what should I do about plugins? Should I rather migrate data from server to server (with plugins) and upgrade to data-center after upgrading jira server to 8.2 OR can I just migrate data, using XML, without the plugins/add-ons?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2019

Dear @Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA] ,

yes you can do - the XML dump is DB vendor independent. I assume that you know this article already. Normally the DB import can happen without plugins already installed. Jira will import them, too.

Also note that there is an issue with all 8.2.x versions. So I recommend to wait for a fixed version.

At all, I strongly recommend to do a dry-run, first.

So long

Thomas

Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2019

Thanks @Thomas Deiler

So, if data is migration without add-ons, what happens to the data in the custom fields of add-ons? Does that data still gets migrated or we lose data stored in customfields?

Secondly, during v7, we had lot of tempo add-ons (teams, accounts, etc), which now are merged into their 2 prime products (planner & timesheets) . So how do I migrate/upgrade those add-ons? Any suggestions here? 

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2019

Dear @Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA] ,

yes, as I sad. Jira imports everything that was exported to the dump. Just imagine, some plugins can only be installed via UPM because they are shipped as ORB files. The are normally not available during first startup after an upgrade.

When you had years ago a plugin installed, that you removed already, most probably  the DB tables still exist in Jira even after x upgrades. Have a look at: https://jira/plugins/servlet/active-objects/tables/list.

Your second point, please contact the vendor of tempo or read the release notes of that plugin.

So long

Thomas

Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2019

Thanks @Thomas Deiler , that was helpful.

Suggest an answer