How to migrate Jira 4.x projects to Jira 5.x?

randy hill July 26, 2012

I only want to migrate a handful of projects running on Jira 4.3 to an instance running 5.0. How do I do that please?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2012

You have 2 options.

1. Create a copy, migrate to 5.0 and delete the unwanted projects

2. Export as XML from current instance and import only selected projects to the new environment running same version and then upgrade it. In this case, you will have to manually create the configurations needed for the project.

randy hill July 26, 2012

Thanks, Jobin! Does that also apply for moving all the issues for Project XYZ?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2012

Not sure what you mean by moving all issues. Can you explain?

randy hill July 26, 2012

Sorry; I meant all the issues assigned to a certain project would have to be moved by the method you state above. I think I may have answered my own question though as you state to export in XML and delete what you don't want -- I'm assuming the XML also contains the issues as well as the projects.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 26, 2012

yup, true. It has all config + data.

randy hill July 26, 2012

Thanks again!

0 votes
SRIDHAR July 27, 2012

Is there any to migrate only one project from an instance (dev) to another instance (QA). Also when I say project it includes ( custom fields, schemes, workflows, screens, issue types).

Suggest an answer