How to map tasks to a Story?

Edouard Landau October 1, 2017

I am new to Jira and trying to implement simple Scrum:

Epic > User Story > Tasks.

Where the Story has the same workflow as the Tasks.  If one of the Story's tasks in a spring, so is the Story... and when all associated tasks are done, Story is Done.

Actually, in an ideal world I'd have: Epic> Story > Criteria > tasks.

Unfortunately, in all my search, I've only found that Jira supports:

Epics > User Stories > Subtasks

... and these Subtasks don't even show up in the backlog view !!

This seems like obvious functionality that I must be missing... can someone point me in the right direction?

Any help would be appreciated.

If the answer involves "experience programming"... that's fine. Please tell me what needs to get done and I'll hire someone :).

Thanks,

-Ed

3 answers

0 votes
joy chakraborty August 23, 2018

Yes, this is true. 

This should have been an obvious flow to have EPIC -> STORY -> TASK

But seems the STORY -> TASK linkage is not present. 

Would be raising to Support, just in case they can highlight something missed by me.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2018

Sounds like your project does not have any sub-task types enabled.  Have a look at the project admin -> "issue type scheme" and ensure it has one or more sub-task types in it.

0 votes
Edouard Landau October 2, 2017

Thanks for the suggested reading.  Yes, creating an Epic from and Epic is possible but no way to relate both Epics to each other unless you do it manually for each Epic, much like how you need to relate a Task to a Story manually for each Task.

Jira seems like an immensely powerful tool with customizable issues, workflows, screen, schemes etc.  but it seems to be falling down flat on its face on this most basic functionality.   And it seems users have been asking for this for years (from articles I have seen in my due-diligence).

What a bummer.

-Ed

0 votes
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2017

Hi Ed,

I suggest you to read this thread, maybe it can help you but it isn't what you are asking for:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/epic-vs-story-vs-task/qaq-p/204224

Suggest an answer