• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • How to map multiple Products to multiple Customers and then to multiple Projects under different Products which in turn map to different functional Areas?

How to map multiple Products to multiple Customers and then to multiple Projects under different Products which in turn map to different functional Areas?

Ashwin Kupatkar March 22, 2016

Here's a Situation.

I have got multiple Products. Several different Customers are aligned to these Products.

Customers have Projects relating these Products. Also these Projects map different Functional areas'.

Followed by the Stories/Tasks mapping these Functional areas and their association to the Projects.ABCD Hierarchy Distribution.png

1 answer

0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2016

Hi Ashwin,

This is a very interesting use case. Overall everything is possible and I have a couple of clarifying questions so that I can give you the most accurate answer.

First, what is the end deliverable - a project or a product version. From the picture it might look that the end deliverable to the customer is a project which consist of multiple product. Please clarify.

Second, the functional area are they physical sub-areas of the product like DB, UI, etc or more of a organizational function like team?

Cheers,
Peter T

Ashwin Kupatkar March 23, 2016

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the response.

PFB are my comments:

1. Yes the end deliverables are Project and the consideration made is correct.
However, to give a clarity, a project will be mapped to at least one product and may get mapped to multiple products if needed at later stage.
Futher to this, a project will be mapped to at least one customer and may get mapped to multiple customers if needed at later stage.

2. Functional Areas are more like teams of the organization. In addition to this, every project will be mapped to at least 1 Functional Area and may get mapped to multiple if needed at later stage.

Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2016

OK. Here is what I suggest.

your product = Project in JIRA

your functional area = Agile Board

Now comes the tough part how can you create you Project which a composition of multiple JIRA Projects - here I suggest that you use an add-on Cycle Control which allows you to map a so called Release to multiple JIRA Project and in addition gives you a nice Project management features for control it.

To recap - each product will have its own Product where the stories/tasks will be created. The functional teams will use Agile boards to track their work, there boards will have stories from multiple JIRA Projects.

The actual customer deliverables will be tracked in Cycle Control releases which are mapped to multiple JIRA Projects.

The picture will look like this:

image2016-3-23 4:10:43.png

Let me know if this works for you.

Ashwin Kupatkar March 24, 2016

Hi Peter,

Thank You for the suggestions. I agree with the above mappings.

But we are using JIRA on Cloud and I find no support for the Cycle Control Plugin.

Also, how can we track projects by the customers?

Suggest an answer