How to manage "Create new issue, add comment" when using Active Directory?

Hi,

I'm trying to set up Jira as a support system. We are using Active Directory to handle users in Jira. I configured a Mail Handler to "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue" when a mail comes in. This works. But now my questions start:

- When a new issue is generated by a new mail sent by "anybody", I have to select a "Reporter", since "anybody" does not exist in our Active Directory. This in turn means that I can't just "answer" to "anybody" by writing a comment, since he won't get it. I can share the issue with the original reporter ("anybody"), but that will fail to create a comment when the original reporter just answers this mail.

I would really love to use this "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue" feature. Only I don't know how to realise this when using Active Directory. Would this be possible?

Also I would like to have a kind of "two-fold" issue. One part that can be seen to the outside (the original reporter, "anybody") and one that can be kept secret. Would this be possible?

Let me now if I should be more clear.

Thorsten

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

JEMH had this in the 4.x days, but the move to 5.0 has not seen LDAP yet added, if you're still interested, please watch https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/browse/JEMH-621

The functionality that will come, is that users are dynamically looked up in AD via LDAP, and users can then be created with userid (or email) and thereafter, also be synchronized. For me, the reason I implemented the feature in 4.x was the different microsoft products used different domains me@myplace.com me@myplace.net, me@myplace.co.uk. Not sure if you've seen that.

Anyway, for two fold issues, you could use JEMH for that, and not create users at all, storing their email address in a custom field, or actually create the user based on email address (may or may not be a 'good thing'), with them being added to a specific group (jira-users), they could be fully interactive users, or if not, they would be 'invovled' users that would receive normal email notifications but would only be able to interact by email.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

115 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you