How to manage inventory with JIRA or Confluence

NP December 2, 2013

Hi,

I'm new in JIRA environnements and I would like to manage our inventory with one of this JIRA or Confluence. Anyone now how can I do it? Is there an add-on for that? What's the cost?

Thank you for your help

Nicolas

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2013

I've not seen a proper "how to" on using Jira as an inventory system, but the usual starting point is to decide exactly what you want to track, and map that on to an issue.

I've used it a few times to track "assets", the usual one being servers. Each server is a single issue, usually with the host name as the summary. Information such as which test environment it's in, cpu, memory, datacentre, owner(s) and so-on are logged as fields. Upgrades and moves are logged as subtasks. The workflow is simplified down to "requested -> active -> decommissioned"

Deployments of software are logged separately and linked to the servers.

In one particularly advanced setup, we wrote a field that was a multi-select list populated directly from the list of servers.

There are loads of ways of doing some form of inventory management, but the first thing is always to define your data set - you might decide Jira isn't the place to do it.

NP December 3, 2013

Hi Nic,

Thank you for you tip. I think I will try this process and see if I can work with it easily.

Best Regards

Nicolas

0 votes
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2014

Hi Nicolas,

There is a brand new add-on named Inventory Plugin for JIRA.

Please check out https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/plugin.jipfor details.

regards

Tuncay Senturk

B_ Normann P_ Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2014

Hi Nicholas, I actually did this 1-1,5 year ago -feel free to be inspired...

http://www.mos-eisley.dk/display/ATLASSIAN/JIRA+as+CMDB#

0 votes
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 3, 2013

Hi Nicolas,

Do you have more detail on what you want to manage in this inventory.
Some of the table grid editor customers are using the add-on exactly for asset management, tracking inventory changes with 'transaction issues',

If you want, I can show you how it works.

Francis

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2013

Hi Nicolas,

Nic basicaly gave you the first few steps, but if you need help doing this you can request it from an Atlassian Expert :

https://www.atlassian.com/resources/experts

I've already got quiet some experience with customizing Jira to track all kind of different things, I'm sure there are other experts who would be able to help you too.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2013

You probably don't need an addon for it. Creating custom issuetype, workflows, screens etc should cover most of it. It is difficult to walk you through everything but your JIRA admin will probably know about this already.

NP December 3, 2013

Thank you for the answer but in fact I am the JIRA admin... Do you know where I can find a "how to" to do it?

Suggest an answer