How to manage inventory with JIRA or Confluence

Hi,

I'm new in JIRA environnements and I would like to manage our inventory with one of this JIRA or Confluence. Anyone now how can I do it? Is there an add-on for that? What's the cost?

Thank you for your help

Nicolas

5 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
2 votes

I've not seen a proper "how to" on using Jira as an inventory system, but the usual starting point is to decide exactly what you want to track, and map that on to an issue.

I've used it a few times to track "assets", the usual one being servers. Each server is a single issue, usually with the host name as the summary. Information such as which test environment it's in, cpu, memory, datacentre, owner(s) and so-on are logged as fields. Upgrades and moves are logged as subtasks. The workflow is simplified down to "requested -> active -> decommissioned"

Deployments of software are logged separately and linked to the servers.

In one particularly advanced setup, we wrote a field that was a multi-select list populated directly from the list of servers.

There are loads of ways of doing some form of inventory management, but the first thing is always to define your data set - you might decide Jira isn't the place to do it.

Hi Nic,

Thank you for you tip. I think I will try this process and see if I can work with it easily.

Best Regards

Nicolas

0 votes

You probably don't need an addon for it. Creating custom issuetype, workflows, screens etc should cover most of it. It is difficult to walk you through everything but your JIRA admin will probably know about this already.

Thank you for the answer but in fact I am the JIRA admin... Do you know where I can find a "how to" to do it?

Hi Nicolas,

Nic basicaly gave you the first few steps, but if you need help doing this you can request it from an Atlassian Expert :

https://www.atlassian.com/resources/experts

I've already got quiet some experience with customizing Jira to track all kind of different things, I'm sure there are other experts who would be able to help you too.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Nicolas,

Do you have more detail on what you want to manage in this inventory.
Some of the table grid editor customers are using the add-on exactly for asset management, tracking inventory changes with 'transaction issues',

If you want, I can show you how it works.

Francis

0 votes

Hi Nicolas,

There is a brand new add-on named Inventory Plugin for JIRA.

Please check out https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/plugin.jipfor details.

regards

Tuncay Senturk

Hi Nicholas, I actually did this 1-1,5 year ago -feel free to be inspired...

http://www.mos-eisley.dk/display/ATLASSIAN/JIRA+as+CMDB#

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

469 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you