How to manage hundreds of versions

Michael Kornatzki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2015

Hi,

i am interested to know how to manage hundreds of versions efficient.
Since the first jira-version there is no possibility to filter sad
But in the old days all the versions where shown and one an use CTRL+F and serach but now?

Can i get rid of the annoying function of "paging" (i know it's not paging but i don't know how to name it) the versions. I want to load and see all the versions.

Thanks
michael

1 answer

0 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2015

SQL for JIRA might help you. It allows you to explore project versions easily by using standard SQL.

Have a look please at the advertising video (1 min) and pay attention to the latest query.

Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2015

If you like SQL for JIRA, the complementary plugin "Birt Reports for JIRA" may help you to create advanced reports for your versions: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.kintosoft.jira.birt_viewer

Michael Kornatzki
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2015

Thanks for the answer, but you misunderstood the requirement. I wanted to know how to manage (add, edit, ...) not only to view versions via jql.

Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2015

Well, the summary/title is enough clear. However, the detail of the questions puts the focus on reporting clearly. I would also like to differentiate among version METADATA (name, start and end date, release status) and the version CONTENT (what are the issues belonging to a version?). I guess you mean version CONTENT management. SQL for JIRA allows several approaches to get version contents according to the underlying JIRA Java API. You can filter ISSUES via JQL as mentioned and then join the rest of the tables or you can start by the PROJECT table and join it to PROJECTVERSIONS and ISSUEVERSIONS, for instance. What are the issues released by your company in the last week? And by project? And by issue type? and by reporter? or by whatever other criteria? Those are questions that SQL for JIRA answers in seconds as well as making any report of all your versions and releases along the time filtered, ordered and grouped by any criteria. In my opinion, JIRA is enough good to manage a single version (metadata and content) via the web interface or the REST API. However it would be difficult via web interface for massive versions and REST becomes tedious and inefficient because it would require coding to fetch the data and a lot of calls to the server (get projects, for each project get versions, for each version get issues and then operate with them to filter, count, etc.). This is nicely supported by SQL for JIRA because everything happens on the server side: it is very efficient, flexible, simple and powerful out-of-the-box and without coding. In my opinion, tracing massive version contents is the difficult and interesting part and it is nicely supported by SQL for JIRA. However, I agree it would be also nice to support adding and removing issues to/from versions via SQL. This will supported in the 2.0 version.

Michael Kornatzki
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2015

Thanks again for clarifying and your detailed answer. I understand that my first post was not clear enough. I mean the manage version view (http://svr-jira:8080/plugins/servlet/project-config/???/versions) in the administration backend. In your terms the Metadata. And this is getting worse in the new version (i don't know jira 5 and work before with jira 3 and 4) as i described in the first post. How did the version manager work with this kind of view with hundreds of versions? I am also thinking about a desktop-client to get rid of the view. Hopefully this behaviour in the manage version view is disableable in the future.

Suggest an answer