How to manage Inter-Project Stories all part of a common Epic which is part of Umbrella project?

kunal.mehta May 4, 2022

We would like to create four independent projects with independent Scrum teams. But we would also like to have a umbrella project which will have Epics which would in turn have stories (although independently testable) spanning across these four projects. 

So how to manage Inter-Project Stories all part of a common Epic which is part of Umbrella project? Is that possible and if yes could you show me some articles please. 

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2022

Hi @kunal.mehta and welcome to the community! 

This is totally possible and best practice for cross-functional projects.  The main thing is making sure that the umbrella project permissions scheme is configured to ensure:

1. Your product managers/owners and anyone else that requires access to create/edit epics and umbrella stories have the appropriate access
  2. Your developers and other users that are using the epics on the other projects at least have browse projects permission

A few other odds and ends to consider:

• From a board configuration perspective, you'd want the individual board filters include epics from your umbrella project
  • To keep things organized and enforce that epics are centrally managed, I would remove the epic issue type from your 4 scrum team projects
  • If your scrum teams are going to be working on the same sprint cadence and you plan to work in a scrum-of-scrums model, you probably want to create a scrum-of-scrums board

Let me know if you're looking for anything else specifically, and I can see if there is more material to share on the topic.

Suggest an answer