How to make the "Summary" field optional?

Radhika Tk March 9, 2018

Hi,

Being a newbie to JIRA, I am finding it extremely lost and not knowing while I do the following:

1. While creating an issue (either task or a bug), not able to do so. I get the error "Summary " field is required.

2. In the Create screen, I have not added this field in any of the create screens.

3. In any of the FIeld Configuration screens, I have not made this field as mandatory.

From where on earth, is this field being introduced while I am creating the task/bug?

Not allowing me to create a task and proceed further.

Please let me know where I am going wrong.

Thanks,

Radhika

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2018

Hi Radhika,

It isn't possible to make Summary an optional field, not even with add-ons. You can automate the field Summary with some add-ons but, I cant't think of a situation where completing Summary field is a problem.

Regards

Radhika Tk March 9, 2018

For me to fill the field, it does not appear anywhere in the screen and it is not hidden either!

Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2018

You need to include the summary field in Creation Screen

0 votes
Daniel Brvnišťan November 18, 2020

The solution to your problem is to include the Summary field on the create screen you are using.

As Cristian has commented, there is no way to make it optional, it is a core system field on the same level of importance as issue key etc. - this field is hard-coded in many views, reports, etc., so it must exist.

I would also like it not to be this way, but I understand it would mean a big change in JIRA logic.

There are ways to populate the field, but that usually involves scripting or plugins, e.g.:
https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/behaviours-overview.html

Suggest an answer