How to make new issue in Service Desk default to private (do not share with organization)

Sławomir Mikuła October 16, 2016

New feature was added in JIRA Service Desk to group people by organizations. By default customer from that organization create issue with share set to that organization. From manual: "If a customer is in an organization, they can also share the request when they raise it. By default, the request is shared with the customer's organization unless they select Private".

In this state the issue is shared between all of the participants in the organization which causes email notification to all parties involved e.g. mail to 100 people from which only 3 is interested in.

We would like to keep grouping customers by organizations for reporting purposes.

How can I set the default rule to private or even disable this combobox from raise request portal page ?

TL;DR: I do not want to share issue and notify by email warning all organization members. I want to select participants manually from issue page.

9 answers

5 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2017

Hi all,

I quickly rushed through all the given answers now but haven't found yet the following work-around that uses JIRA core built-in funcionality.

I thought it might still be helpful for some of you so here it is:

I have figured out that an issue  is not shared to any organization member when the custom field "Organizations" is cleared. One can clear this field automatically when the issue is created using a built-in workflow post function.

Just add the marked post function to the Create transition of the workflow. It must be before "Create the issue originally"

grafik.png

You can find more about editing the Create transition (or initial transition) here

Thanks to JIRAs powerful workflow schemes you can use the modified workflow for the sensitive and private issue types and the default one for the public issue types like Suggestions, Improvements, Reproducible Bugs, ...

I must admit i have not yet tested if this work-around also prevents notifications from being sent to other organization members but even though it does removing the customer notification rule helps you.

Despite of all the given workarounds including my own i agree with the overall opinion here that the default sharing mode for each new issue must be private. I can't understand why Atlassian hasn't  fixed this yet. To me this is a security bug not a suggestion or a new feature.

Regards,

Dieter

David Blundell September 5, 2017

Hi Dieter,

I have tried to add a post function to the Transition: Create as you did.

On the "Add Post Function To Transition" page I have chosen "Update Issue Field" 

This gives me a page with several options.  I assume that you chose the "Update Issue Field"post-function.PNG

I then get to choose what to set the value of - I can't see Organization in this list.  options.PNG

Please will you let me know which option you chose to clear the Organization field in the post function?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

David 

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2017

From the screen shots, I think that it might be the "Clear Field Value" post function.

I think this post function is natvely available in JIRA Cloud, but not JIRA Server (which I think is what you have David?).

The history is: JIRA Cloud used to come bundled with the Suite Utlities for JIRA (JSU) add-on, which included a "Clear Field Value" post-function.

Atlassian removed JSU around May 2017, but implemented native versions of much of the JSU stuff in JIRA Cloud - including the "Clear Field Value" post-function - so that those of us who were relying on the bundled functionality wouldn't lose out.

Read about that in Dave Meyer's post here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-Core-questions/Why-is-JIRA-Suite-Utilities-disabled-on-JIRA-Cloud/qaq-p/368253#M30095

So I think the upshot is (for some instances at least) JIRA Cloud has more built-in post-functions than JIRA Server.

That might explain the difference.

Like Jasper Green likes this
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2017

Thank's Sam for your clarifications. 

So @David Blundell, are you on JIRA Cloud and don't have the "Clear field value" post function?

If yes you should contact Atlassian Support to enable that for you. If no just install the JSU plugin which is a must on each JIRA server though ;-)

David Blundell September 5, 2017

Thanks Sam for your detailed answer and Dieter for your follow up.

Yes - I am using Jira server.  Looks like I'll be buying JSU :-)

4 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2016

Well....if I would have only read the latest response from Atlassian on my KB inquiry I could have answered this right off.

To disable notifying all customers in an organization each time an issue is created go to Project>Project Settings> Customer Notifications and disable the "Organization added" notification.

Sławomir Mikuła October 17, 2016

ok, thanks for a tip. I was looking at that notification but thought that this is only triggered when new organization is added to the customer list. I'll check it.

Stephen Gordon November 9, 2016

AHHH! perfect! That totally just saved me so many headaches!

Anthony France February 9, 2017

Yeah, but the issue is then still shared with everyone in the org so they could potentially leak sensitive information such as employee terminations and what not.   The notification as just been disabled.

Matthew April 9, 2017

In addition to the "Organization added" notification, I had to disable the following under Automation: "sd.notification.default.rule.request.organisation.added.name"

Micha Brans July 25, 2018

Hi Matthew, can you please share with us how to change this automation rule?

Under automation, I do not see rules with these kind of names, just nice boxes with human readable text.

Thanks,

Micha

2 votes
Susan Ostreicher
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 17, 2017

Hi everyone.  I was researching the same issue, and came across this conversation as well as a reported issue: JSDCLOUD-4382.  If you're frustrated by this too, please head over and vote for it. 

Micha Brans July 25, 2018

Just voted there, however mostly it doesn't matter how many votes a requests has, Atlassian just does the changes they can fix easy, without looking at customers needs, unfortunately.

2 votes
Kel Hill May 10, 2017

I would also like to know if it is possible to make the default Private and only share by choice, without having to disable sharing entirely.

Rachael Bumb June 8, 2017

I agree.  Having the ability to have "Private" be the default would be VERY helpful

Mayssam Ismail October 13, 2018

Yes this is a must have

2 votes
Deleted user April 13, 2017

Is there any way to keep the notification and default all requests to private unless the user specifically wants to notify their org?

1 vote
nprasad August 28, 2017

I see this as a huge Bug in the system. It does not make sense at all the way it is setup right now. 90% of service tickets do not need to be shared with the whole organization and thus organizations should not be added by default. Why does the whole organization need to know when printer toner needs to be ordered! Needs to be set private by default or not shown to the customer at all. The Administrator should decide whether the customer should be allowed to share the particular Request type as it is done with Request Type forms. 

I saw one workaround posted where you need to create multiple Organizations and put all users in at least 2 organizations. that way it defaults to Private. This workaround just puts more work on the administrator to manually manage the system. Personally, now I have to manually add 500 customers to 2 organizations... and thats just one of our Client Silo's. In addition, now I have to keep up with additions and removals of customers to make sure they are added and removed from both organizations instead of just letting customers sign up in their respective customer portals. 

The second workaround is to disable the Automation where it sends the email when organizations are added. Why? I like this feature and helps us manage incidents where our agents can add an organization group that holds client stakeholders, and they get notified and can opt in to follow the ticket. I believe, this is what it is designed for and a critical feature for us. Thus, this workaround is not acceptable either, as it makes the whole "Organizations" feature useless. 

I have been a JIRA Software fan for over 5 years and pushed my company to use JSD. I hope Atlassian fixes this quickly as now I am struggling to accomodate some basic requests from my company. 

0 votes
Saskia Zeedijk February 24, 2020

For Jira Service Desk Server this has been fixed now (from version 4.7.0); issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-4382. Not solved for Cloud yet.

0 votes
Brad Mace [ATS] January 24, 2017

One thing I noticed is that if the user belongs to more than one organization it will default to private

Abby Welbourn July 18, 2018

this has been a workaround for this issue for me- when I add a new customer, I add them to two organizations (just duplicate lists) and the requests default to 'private'

Like # people like this
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2016

I too am interested in this. I have been looking for similar solution. Here is a thread that I submitted that involved Atlassian rep. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/43207726

Suggest an answer