How to make fields as required upon workflow transition?

Madhanaa Rajendran April 23, 2013

I would like to include some fields as required upon certain workflow transitions(for example X field = Y so that the transition will be allowed from Await X to Review X). To perform this what is needed? As of now i have installed fieldsrequired-validator which is packaged in JIRA suite utilities. Is it useful?

3 answers

1 vote
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2013

I guess the suite utilities workflow validator is the only best option you have for making fields required on specific workflow transition .

0 votes
LukasG December 5, 2016

Another option is the Add-On Workflow Essentials for JIRA which contains a Validator to make fields required / mandatory. It is not free but supports all Custom Fields and the system fields: Description, Affects Version, Fix Versions, Labels, Due Date, Comment. Additionally it will mark required fields with a red asterisk just like globally required fields. 

0 votes
Stephen Hayden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2013

So with that plugin installed, you'll now have some new validators while editing the workflow. If you need any help with workflows you'll find that here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow

Basically you'll want to add a validator on the transition for each field that you want to require, and then it will be required only for that transition rather than every step of the way for your project.

Docs for JIRA Suite Utilities validators: https://jsutil.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JSUTIL/JIRA+Suite+Utilities+Workflow+Validators

Suggest an answer