How to make board sharing more restricted

Hilary Boyce
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2013

One of our PM's has created a board that he has shared with everyone. Unfortunately this means other clients can see it is there and who we work with is often confidential information. I cannot see how I can change the sharing to make it project only despite having admin privileges for the board and global admin privileges. I have asked him to do it but he is very busy, so I would like to be able to do it myself.

We are using OnDemand.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hilary Boyce
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2013

Seems I can only change the sharing by taking over the board ownership which is a shame - it seems like something with admin privileges on a board ought to be able to do.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2013

Indeed. People have been asking for admins to be able to edit other people's filters and dashboards for a long time. This is a start, but I totally agree that we should be able to simply change the sharing directly, instead of just changing owners!

0 votes
JoãoS
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2013

Hello Hillary,

I believe the "Browse Projects" permission is set to "Users"
One thing we need to know before procceeding:
Each user has a different "Role", it's basically a group that you can't differentiate from others so you can apply permissions. People at your company should have a different role than your clients.

Since you have administrator privileges, go to your project that you wish to change permissions.
Now there's an "Administration" tab, click it and go to to "Permissions" in the left sidebar.

Here we can take a look at your permission scheme and see who gets to access what or create what.
At the top right you have "Actions". Go there to edit your permisison scheme.

Generally it's using the Default Permission Scheme, so BE CAREFUL! Other projects may be using the same permission scheme. You should create a new permission scheme the way you want going in "View all permission schemes" on top of the permissions and then going for an "Add Permission Scheme" button.

Any other questions, just ask!

Cheers

Hilary Boyce
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2013

Thanks for answering, the permission schemes are all water-tight. Clients don't have any permissions on each others projects. The problem is not letting them see any names of boards that contain client names. This is ok if the board is shared with the project but not if shared with all users. The problem is that only the owner of the board can change the sharing - not the administrators. There doesn't seem to be a way around this without taking possession of the board.

JoãoS
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2013

That's a shame. But still, nice work!

Sergiu Mihailov January 21, 2014

Hello guys! I have the same issue

Could somebody tell me if it's possible to do changes: In Manage Boards-> Configure button (one of my boards)->Shares, I have option "Edit Filter Shares". When I press it, I can change Shares

As discussed, it can be done only by Board owner and it is OK for me.

Could you please advice how can I block drop down menu or to have only one option: Share only to Project (I want to disable options: Everyone and Group)

Probably it can be done in Jira conf file or there are some other options. Just want to hide Everyone and Group. It will help me to be shure that all boards were shared only for project

Many thanks,

Recurly Operations September 13, 2018

Yes this is now an option in JIRA Admin - System - General Configuration - Edit - there is an option to restrict sharing to public.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2013

The boards respect the permissions of the issues behind them. If your "other clients" don't have "browse project" for issues with confidential information, then the boards will not display anything about those issues to them. If they do have "browse project" for those issues, then blocking them from using the board is not going to stop them seeing the confidential information, as they can go look at the project and issues if they feel like it.

That aside, as an admin, you should be able to go Admin -> Users -> Shared Dashboards, then you'll be able to change the visibility of that board.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 26, 2013

Yes, that's a bit of human education about leaking data with public info. Completely understand the need to hide that!

Hilary Boyce
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2013

Thank you Nic I hadn't realised the shared dashboards/shared filters functionality was in the admin, although it only lets me delete a board/filter or change ownership of it, not manage it.

Unfortunatley the fact users can see the title of a board is a problem even if they can't actually see the contents because they invariably include the name of the relevant client and that is confidential information in many cases.

Suggest an answer