How to make a a field mandatory only on certain screens

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2015

You don't. 

You make it mandatory on certain transitions in the workflow - add "validators" to the transitions to force users to enter it.

Davide Paleari February 16, 2015

Hi Nic, this could be the way, but how can I add such a validation? I only see the following validation type: - Complete Session Validator Validates that all JIRA Capture test sessions related to this issue are complete. - Permission Validator Validates that the user has a permission. - User Permission Validator Validates that the user has a permission, where the OSWorkflow variable holding the username is configurable. Obsolete. None of them seems to be the one I'm looking for.

Matthias Kuespert February 16, 2015

Hi Davide, AFAIK the JIRA Suite Utilities plugin has a 'Fields mandatory' validator. Just install the plugin and check the validators on your transition again.

Hi Matthias, thank you very much: using the plug-in I got it! BTW: using the same plugin I see it's possible to set a value into custom fields, but I'm not able to do that with user fields (for example "request partecipiant" ), even if they are listed among the custom fields. Did you have the chance to do that? Thanks and regards

Matthias Küspert February 17, 2015

Davide, what exactly are you trying to do? You're talking about the 'Update Issue Custom Field Post-Function'? I never used that post function. But if you post a separate question with the exact configuration you have, you will sure get an answer here.

0 votes
Sergio Silva February 13, 2015

You can make a field mandatory for certain issue types using field configuration scheme.
If each issue type use a different screen, you will have field mandatory in your respective screens.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2015

Er, the field will need to be entered during issue creation then, and you won't be able to blank it out. I don't think that's what is required here.

My problem is that, for the SAME issue type, I need to have the field mandatory when managed by the agents, but not mandatory during issue creation by the customers. I'll try to follow the suggestion of Nic and use the validators in the workflow transitions

Suggest an answer