How to make a CF (custom field) applicable in JQL?

William August 20, 2013

Hi everyone!

I've been trying to build a query in JQL (On Demand) using a CF (custom field) that I've created but with no success. The system show me the following message: Product is not applicable for the current project and/or issue type. The CF is available in all my projects. Am I doing something wrong?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2013

When you first add the field, it'll ask you for name, description, searcher, and context. The searcher defaults though, so if you miss it, it'll probably be right already.

However, because you don't remember it, I'm pretty sure you will have picked up the default, which should be working for you. It's worth a quick check - edit the field in the custom field list and you should see what you've selected for it.

I'm not sure you should be getting that error message where you seem to be getting it either. Could you try a really simple test? Nip into the advanced search, create a new one and simply start typing "Product ~ " (and then some text you know is in at least one issue). What does that do?

William August 20, 2013

Hi Nic!

It is a text type. What do you mean when you say 'select a searcher for it'? How and where can I do this? I've made all configurations, but I don't remember having selected the 'searcher'.

William August 20, 2013

The problem of the searcher was solved. The searcher was selected like 'none'. Now I've selected the option 'Multi Select Searcher' and did the test you've mentioned. It worked! Thanks.

Due to the situation above, I took a look at all my CFs and I realized that one of them, called 'version' (selec list - single choice), has almost the same problem.

This CF allows the user to select (or not) a determined value. When the user leaves the field empty, the default value is 'none'. Here's the problem. I tried to search some issues with the query "version is not EMPTY" and it worked perfectly. I got a lot of issues that was created with the CF 'version' filled out.

When I tried the query "version is Empty", the search didn't bring anything. What do you think?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2013

Ah, good we've got the cause. I think the error message could be better (i.e. "no way to search" instead of "not valid for project")

For the version question, we probably need to see the full queries to be sure what's going on, not just the version clause.

William August 21, 2013

OK, but in this case, the full query is only 'version is Empty'. The idea is to test the CF, bringing all those issues that match this clause. For example, if I write a query with the clause "Version is not Empty", it works great and I can see all those issues that match the clause. The opposite isn't working. :(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2013

Hmm, yes, I've run into this and I have seen it somewhere before. There was a logical reason it doesn't work, but the argument was flawed and the use case is pretty clear that it should work the way you're expecting. I seem to remember a bug report for it as well, but I can't find it :-(

William August 26, 2013

Nic, thanks anyway! I'll try to find a solution for this.

0 votes
William September 24, 2013

Now the CF appears as "Irrelevant" and I can't find my issues through the search.

0 votes
William September 8, 2013

Any idea?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 8, 2013

On which bit of the question?

William September 8, 2013

It isn't working yet. I can't find my issues with the CF empty.

I have created a CF where an user can create an issue without filling it up. But, when I try to search this empty field I can't find it. The system doesn't show it.

This CF is shown in a Dashboard and its value appears as 'None', once the user left it blank during the create process of the issue. When I click on the link 'None', a blank search is displayed. So, the system couldn't find the issues with CF blank.

0 votes
William August 20, 2013

The problem of the searcher was solved. The searcher was selected like 'none'. Now I've selected the option 'Multi Select Searcher' and did the test you've mentioned. It worked! Thanks.

Due to the situation above, I took a look at all my CFs and I realized that one of them, called 'version' (selec list - single choice), has almost the same problem.

This CF allows the user to select (or not) a determined value. When the user leaves the field empty, the default value is 'none'. Here's the problem. I tried to search some issues with the query "version is not EMPTY" and it worked perfectly. I got a lot of issues that was created with the CF 'version' filled out.

When I tried the query "version is Empty", the search didn't bring anything. What do you think?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2013

What type of custom field is it? In the configuration, did you select a searcher for it?

Suggest an answer