How to make JIRA Read-Only through Database.?

Ram August 4, 2015

Hi,

Is there any way to make JIRA read-only from database(mysql) end.

Know how to do it by changing permission scheme from JIRA administration. But, looking for a way to achieve this through database side.

Thanks...

Ram

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2015

Not really.  The way you'd do it is actually to just take the changes you've made in the UI, work out how they are held in the database and change it via SQL (while JIRA is offline).  It's quicker to do it in the UI mostly.

Ram August 4, 2015

Thanks for the response Nic. Can we achieve it through cron jobs.? i.e. without manual effort.!!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2015

You'll need a cron that can stop JIRA, run some SQL against your database, and then restart JIRA. And you will need to be very careful with the SQL - it will need to read the current settings and store them somewhere so it can put them back when it's done (remember that your admins can easily change the permissions in th UI and you need to preserve what they're doing) This makes me question what you're trying to do. If you genuinely need to lock JIRA out for a while for a good reason, then it's probably going to be far more simple to just stop it.

Ram August 4, 2015

My scenario is like we have two JIRA instances. One(JIRA1) go live and one(JIRA2) backing the Live instance. If our Live instance(JIRA1) down for some reason we would like to point to backup JIRA(JIRA2) which should be in read only mode with all the latest data of Live(JIRA1). Where users can only view all issues until LiveJIRA (JIRA1) is up. Hope this briefs my concern :).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 4, 2015

Ok, that makes sense, and keeps the SQL simple - keep a single permission scheme which says "Browse: all users" and no other rights, and apply it to all of the projects in the "read only" version.

Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2015

The problem though is that just takes care of Project data. If you've got plugins installed they might have different permissions ways. Also JIRA interacts with the database (in a write fashion) when folks are just logging in or viewing things... There are also crons etc. Just things to be aware off...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 4, 2015

Yes, and for JIRA to even start up, it has to have *write* access to the database. In this case, I'm not sure you care too much about it, as I assume that the aim is just to stop updates until the production server is back up (because otherwise people might update it and then complain about data loss), and when production is back, you're going to throw away the disaster recovery system and rebuild it from production again.

Suggest an answer