How to make Epic Link a Required Field?

Courtney Ashton August 2, 2016

When creating an issue, I want to force my users to have to fill in the epic link field. 

Currently in "custom fields" you cannot make Epic Link required like you can other fields. 

2 answers

1 vote
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2016

Hi Courtney,

I'd recommend you to make it required on the create issue transition as described in the JIRA knowledgebase.

You can see also this question for more answers.

Cheers,
Matthias

Courtney Ashton August 3, 2016

Thank you for the doc, but when I go to edit a validator there is nothing that pop ups that says "select Fields Required" . All I see are these 3 options: 1) Permission Validator 2) Script Validator 3) User Permission Validator . I select Script Validator > Field(s) change validator  and in the box where it says to select a field to be enforced the field box is empty sad   What am I doing wrong?Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 1.30.16 PM.png

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2016

Which version of JIRA are you using? I checked in a JIRA Server 6.2 and also on a JIRA Cloud instance and they both have a "Field Required Validator". See below list of validators for my JIRA Cloud instance.

transition-conditions.png

Amit Anand September 5, 2018

I am using JIRA v7.9.2  in this version also "Field Required Validator" option is not visible.

Please let me know if we have any alternative approach

luiz.duarte July 9, 2019

At Jira Server v7.10 I don´t have "Field required Validator" too.

0 votes
Saeid February 5, 2018

Hi all,

Thx for this post.

It works on my jira cloud version. BUT just during the creation.

When moving a issue from one project to another, no check is performed.

any suggestion ?

grtz,

Lorraine Gorman April 30, 2018

Did you find a solution to this @Saeid?  We need to also make Epic Link required across the board (not just on create or transition) and I have not found a way.

Saeid May 1, 2018

Hi

no, I did not. I tried a lot ...

i made this field mandatory with create and change issue. 

Grtz

Suggest an answer