How to make Assignee Optional in Jira v5.1.2

James Whitt August 20, 2012

I'm on Jira v5.1.2 and the task I'm trying to complete is:

"As a Project Lead, when I create a ticket, the Assignee field is not required (optional)"

Now I followed the steps in the knowledge management about going through the Field Configurations and modifying it there. Almost all the fields in there under "Operations" have the "Required" or "Optional" link. The problem is, Assignee does not have that choice. In fact, the only links for Assignee under Operations is: "Edit", "Hide", "Screens".

How do I make it optional when there is no optional link?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2012

Have you enabled "allow unassigned" in the general configuration?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2014

I have the same problem, but in my case the option to allow Unassigned issues is enabled, was always enabled.

0 votes
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2012

do you "Unassigned issues" (system configuration). If you have that enabled, then you should be able to leave assignee blank and the issue will be unassigned.

Suggest an answer