How to log time without issue?

David Hanson May 10, 2013

Greetings,

I am a new Tempo user. Hoping someone can help provide some guidance.

How do I log time worked only against a project without having to break down the time by issue?

In a typical work session, I may spend time working on between 3 and 15 issues. I only want to track and log my time once, not 3 to 15 times. We typically do not need that level of granularity and are not prepared to capture and record that level of detail as it adds undesired overhead to our development processes.

Any help or suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Warm regards,

David

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Benedikt Bjarni Bogason [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2013
Hi David, One method would be either select one of those issues to track time against, or even create a separate issue that functions as a bucket for all the worklogs. Just be careful not to accumulate "too many" worklogs against a single issue, as this might aversely affect performance. If your projects are long running, create a new issue periodically (e.g. yearly or quarterly). I am sure there are other ways. Cheers, Benedikt, Tempo Team
David Hanson May 15, 2013

Hi Benedikt,

Thank you for your suggestions and timely response.

While this would work, it feels like a "hack". I think I will stick with our existing solution that addresses this need out of the box. Hopefully, in the near future, Atlassian will consider supporting time capture where the issue is optional. I would love to embrace Tempo and this is the only road-block.

If you would like more information about our workflow and the existing solution we use, please message me privately.

Thanks again for your help, Benedikt.

David

Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2013

Hi David,

Would love to have a chat on this. It would be best to get the dialog going in our support project (which is private)

https://tempoplugin.jira.com/browse/JTS

Cheers,
Viðar

Suggest an answer