How to lock the Sprint so that the team cannot add any more tickets?

Donata December 20, 2019

I would like to know what would be the detail action items for Jira Software Scrum Project for me to be able to lock the Sprint so that the team cannot add any more tickets throughout the sprint? 

Thanks,

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2019

this is controlled thru the "Manage sprints" permission. project settings > permissions

Jeff Stack March 26, 2021

Hi Jack.  What is the permission setting to do this?  We're on Jira Data Center V8.15 and I don't see an option for this.  That is unless you're referring to locking down "Create Issues" for users.

Thx,
Jeff

chris August 25, 2021

I have the same issue. I assume there has been a Jira update. Was this function removed?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2021

@chris are you on cloud?

0 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2019

Hi @Donata ,

There is no way to "lock" the scope of a sprint, whether or not the sprint has been started. There was an open request to add this feature, but Atlassian recently decided not to pursue it. 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-3484

-Scott

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2019

@Donata , the others that have posted are right...you can use permissions to prevent people from adding issues to a sprint.  To clarify my answer...if people can add to a sprint then they can throughout the sprint; there isn’t a way to  allow issues to be added until a point where the sprint gets “locked” and no more issues are added.

Hope this helps,

-Scott

1 vote
Helena Hamilton October 7, 2022

I did this with automation. When I was ready to lock the sprint down, I created a rule that basically says "if a ticket is edited and they set the sprint value to this particular (closed) sprint, then clear the sprint field (thus moving it back out). If we need to add something authorized, we can just disable the rule.  Next sprint, I'll update it to lock down THAT sprint. Simple but it works.

Nikolay Rayanov October 28, 2022

That's a smart way to do it! Thank you for sharing.

Chris Noble September 8, 2023

Helena, Could you post a screenshot of the automation rule when you get a chance?

I would like to try to develop something similar on our sprint board.

Sam Huawey March 14, 2024

This can be a problem if an issue travels from sprint to sprint. You will clean all previous sprints from it.

0 votes
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2019

@Donata You can achieve this using both "Schedule Issues" and "Edit Issues" permissions for your project to restrict only specific users/groups to have these permissions and thus able to add issues to Sprints.

Please see this page for more details on what permissions are used for which Sprint related actions: https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-administrator-s-guide/jira-agile-jira-configuration#JIRAAgile-JIRAConfiguration-Permissions

Hope it helps!

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2020

@Donata Did my answer help resolving your issue? Please let me know and if there are any further questions. Please don't forget to mark the answer as accepted in case it was useful, it will help others in the community as well.

Amrut Bhonsle August 6, 2020

I think the question is / or my question is Once the sprint has started no one should be able to add any stories. Maybe only 1 role can do it for the active sprint.

Eg Leads can plan Future sprints only mangers can add in current 

Can one us some validator to check if the sprint is active? 

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Like Gary Shaw likes this
Sam Huawey March 14, 2024

You can do it for your project, but people can allow this permission in their own projects and add their issues to your print. So your answer is incorrect.

Suggest an answer