How to lock issue status changes until the time tracking field is filled?

Dmytro Shaforost May 14, 2021

How to lock issue status changes until the time tracking field is filled?

For example:

Reporter create a task and assign Assignee_1

Assignee_1 did some work

Assignee_1 want to change Issue Status for transition it to other step

Assignee_1 cannot change the issue status until he / she fills in the time tracking field

Assigne_1 fills in the time tracking field

Assignee_1 can change the issue status

3 answers

3 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

Hi @Dmytro Shaforost and welcome to the community,

I don't think that's really possible, there will be too many variables and it will become really complex.

Have you considered allowing the transition but adding a transition screen which contain the time tracking field?

It won't be locked to move but you will force the user to enter time during the transition.

@Dirk Ronsmans I didn't even think about such a solution :) ! I am not too sophisticated in Jira administration and automation. I like your solution to my problem, I will be grateful if you tell me how to implement it

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

Well it depends on how much you know already about Jira :)

When you edit the workflow you can click on the transtion and attach a screen to it.

That screen will need to be created in advance and you'll have to add the field "Time Tracking" to it.

You could then add a validator on the transition with one of these validators:

image.png

Like Dmytro Shaforost likes this

Huh... can't find this function in workflow editing :(

should i have an admin role?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2021

You mean you can't edit the workflow or you don't see these specific validators?

If the workflow is not shared you should be able to change it as a non-admin (but a project admin I believe).

If it is the simplified system workflow you might have less options.

I don't see these specific validators...

so, as i understand: i need to create new project with Company-managed project type or already have such project and havea project admin permissions?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2021

Ah maybe I missed it.. do u use a tea managed or company managed project? Cause that changes a lot :)

Like Dave Liao likes this

Now i use team-management to create test-project env. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dmytro Shaforost May 17, 2021

@Dirk Ronsmans you're the best!!! Thanks a lot for your answers and HELP! This is exactly what I needed! Thanks to you and your instructions, everything works for me! Didn't work up to this point since I didn't publish the draft. Thanks again for your help!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dmytro Shaforost May 17, 2021

@Dirk Ronsmans HI! Now I have project administrator rights and I can follow your recommendations.

1. I added a new screen with one field: time tracking. I have added a minimal description to the screen.
2. I added this screen to the transition.
3. then assigned a validator for the required field and selected the "time spent" field from the list.
4. created a task and selected the desired transition. nothing happened. What have I done wrong ?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2021

Hi @Dmytro Shaforost ,

Just to confirm, are you now using a Team Managed project or did you switch to a Company managed one?

You mention nothing happens, does the screen not even pop up? Cause then you might need to publish the workflow still (it might still be in draft, if you didn't do that)

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2021

I've just did the test myself.

To rectify, you need to add the field "Log Work" on the transition screen and not the Time Tracking one. (i even had to remove Time tracking to make Log work appear).

I also added a validator for the Time Spent field and I am block on the transition unless I enter time..

When I try to move forward without entering I get the following:

image.png

I've created a simple screen:

image.png

Added that to a transition:

image.png

and a validator:

image.png

just make sure to edit the correct workflow of course, the one linked to your issue type.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events