How to link user stories to Epics with labels or inherit labels?

Bhavesh DHAKA December 14, 2017

I have one label for each epic, like cat1, cat2, cat3. 

I do not want to create labels for each story; however, I want to create a filter on my Kanban board that will help me view all user stories linked to an epic with cat1.. and so on. 

Using third-party plugins is not a viable option at this point. The ideal solution will be a JQL query. 

Another alternative is to automatically copy/inherit the label when a story is linked to a labelled epic. 

Appreciate the help! Thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 15, 2017

Hi, you can use JQL Search Extensions plugin for that:  documentation

Otherwise, you won't be able to create a filter.  You could manually perform a search for epics with labels and then export that result and perform another manual search for issues with Epic Link within the epics you've found in the first search.

0 votes
John Fernandes December 15, 2017

Hello Bhavesh,

I don't think there is a way to do that without 3rd party add-ons, unfortunately (I can be wrong though).

Jira does not have a JQL function to filter fields from parent/linked issues, nor a post-function to set Labels on create.

You can then use 3rd party add ons to meet your boards requirement.

An idea is to, in order to set Labels automatically from Epic on create, use the add-on Automation for JIRA. It is a free add on.

Best Regards,
João Fernandes

Bhavesh DHAKA December 17, 2017

Thanks for the reply, João. Automation for JIRA looks good and quite comprehensive.

John Fernandes December 18, 2017

Another option is to set Epic as swimlanes. Your filter would get both epic and issues under it, and set the epic as swimlanes and then you will see all issues linked to the epic under it in the board.

Suggest an answer