How to link Jira and HipChat

Mark Bowden June 9, 2015

We have an instance of JIRA which we host ourselves, and we would like to configure it to work with HipChat which is hosted online. I've added the HipChat extensions on Jira, but that's as far as I can get. When following these instructions:

Linking JIRA and HipChat

The JIRA and HipChat integration is packaged with JIRA 6.4 and later versions. For previous versions of JIRA or for the latest integration plugin go to the HipChat for JIRA integration plugin page and follow the installation instructions. 

1. Log in as a JIRA administrator or a Project Administrator.
  2. Go to the JIRA administration console, and then System > Mail > HipChat integration.
  3. Select Connect HipChat.
  4. Follow the instructions to link JIRA to your HipChat site.
  5. Once integrated, you can connect your JIRA projects to your HipChat rooms.

However, when I press connect HipChat, I get the option to join or create teams, all these options end up with the same result. I add my email address, and it complains that an account is setup with this email address. Which is correct, it's my hipchat account. So I can't seem to get past this. Is there something I'm missing?

2 answers

0 votes
Dan_Nelson July 15, 2015

Suddenly this morning my JIRA to HipChat integration is working. The configuration inside the JIRA Administration console now downloads a plugin and allows me to configure JIRA Projects to HipChat rooms. See step #3 listed in this original question, that is what is now fixed. Not sure why this is fixed. I sent an email to HipChat support the evening before. Next morning I got a response requesting additional information. When I tried to produce screenshots for HipChat support, everything inside the JIRA Administration console's HipChat configuration worked. Strange.

0 votes
Dan_Nelson July 14, 2015

I've experienced this too. The workflow makes no sense! I have no solution. We're using JIRA Cloud and HipChat (free).

Suggest an answer